Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overwhelmed and sad

Default Overwhelmed and sad

I think I might have OALD.

My baby, 5 weeks, has explosive and frequent poops and lots of gas. She chokes and coughs on my breast when I let down, and latches to the nipple, which has caused some soreness. Every 2 to 3 hours (and for one 4-hour stretch in the early morning), she nurses for 15 minutes, more or less, on one breast. I alternate breasts with each feeding. She is not always actively suckling and frequently falls asleep at the breast, so I will sometimes offer her the second breast to keep her interested.

My DD is often unhappy the moment she's done feeding, and visits to the changing table are traumatic. This is especially true at night, when she's more awake. Our pediatrician has her on clotrimazole for a persistent diaper rash, but in a week I don't see much of a change.

I was afraid my daughter had diarrhea last week from so many stools and took her to the pediatrician, whose advice was to supplement with formula. I didn't do this and she never became dehydrated.

Since it can be 6 hours between feedings on one breast, I'm already doing block feeding, right? Might my problem be something other than OALD, like colic or food allergies? These breastfeeding issues are taking away much of the joy of being a new parent. I feel like a bad mommy and hate that my milk is making my child sick. Is this a case where it makes more sense to switch to formula when she turns 6 weeks? I'm exhausted, and I can't imagine continuing like this for another two weeks or longer.

What should I do?

Default Re: Overwhelmed and sad

I think I might have OALD Sounds like it to me
    Have you talked with a local leader? she could help you sort it out.

Some babies are just very fussy and high needs, your baby is very young yet over time your going to get to know her beter and feal beter about taking care of her! YOU CAN DO IT!

are you pumping any???
    Sometimes that can lead to oald! and make the problem worse...

Default Re: Overwhelmed and sad

Your LO sounds a lot like DS2 when he was a few weeks old. For whatever reason, his diaper rash went away when I cut out dairy. He has never had blood in his poop or any true allergy symptoms, but I think he has a sensitivity. He also had to go on reflux meds. One of the main symptoms of the reflux for him was that he was really unhappy during/after feedings. I also have OALD, and he started to refuse one breast, so now he only nurses from one which is annoying but actually helped with the OALD because my supply stays in control on that one breast.

I know it seems like it will never get better, but I promise it will. Sometimes it takes a little bit of trial and error to figure out what's going on, but your LO is still so little.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine