Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain inbetween feedings

Unhappy Breast pain inbetween feedings

Help! I have deep breast pain inbetween feedings. This is my third time breastfeeding and i've never had this type of pain before. I've had a mastitis and clogged ducts before (while breastfeeding my other kids) but this seems to be different. The pain is more intensely on one side although i feel it sometimes on both. The pain is usually right near the armpit area and comes usually 5-10min after the baby has finished nursing on that side. I have no pain during nursing (no let-down pain). The pain is very "achy" in nature.

Any thoughts/ideas you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Breast pain inbetween feedings

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear you are having this pain after nursing! I hope we can help you figure it out and find a remedy.

The first idea that comes to my mind when reading your description is a condition called vasospasm (also Raynaud's syndrome).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

You didn't mention nipple blanching or pain in your nipples, and I'm not sure if vasospasm can occur deeper in the breast and not in the nipples. But read through the link and see if it rings any bells. You could try applying dry heat to the breast immediately after nursing to see if that helps.

I hope other will chime in with further ideas for you. Good luck and keep us posted! When you are feeling better and have the time and energy, we would certainly welcome your participation here as a such an experienced breastfeeding mother.

--Rebecca

Thanks so much, a lot of the reading you suggested could fit my scenario. I've certainly had my challenges with my 6week old. He was tounge-tied (as was my 2nd) so it took us about a month to get into a rythum (still working at it). From time to time i see him clamping down which is causing the "lipstick" - so i think that may have something to do with the situation. I'll write back with an update......thanks again!

Yes, that does makes sense. I think I remember reading that certain latch problems can make Raynaud's symptoms worse, and certainly the clamping would help explain any nipple blanching, since it can literally cut off the circulation.

Was his tongue-tie clipped? I'm curious about how this is handled in different areas. I hope you get some relief from the pain very soon!

--Rebecca

Hi - me again....back and still with the same pain - jeez it hurts. Left side is still giving me the pain only and baby seems to be latching on good, but all is not well yet. Starting to get frustrated to say the least.

To answer the tounge-tied question, yes, he was snipped at 1week old. Traumatic for mom, but i think pretty uneventful for baby (except for the actual cut).

Anyway - off to bed to get some sleep. Thanks for the support.