Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No let down while pumping?

Default No let down while pumping?

So I bought a high quality electric pump today to help increase my supply and to hopefully use when I go back to work. I fed my LO an hour ago so I thought I'd try to use it now on the side that I used then, since I'm going to feed him on the other side in a little while. But, nothing is coming out! I've been pumping for 10 minutes now and I have maybe a drop. What does that mean? Did I just not let down? Do I not have much supply on that side? It is a pretty small breast - A cup. Does that matter with supply? I stopped pumping and I can express a little with my hand...so why can't I with the pump?

Default Re: No let down while pumping?

The pump is not as efficient as the baby at removing milk from the breast. It's possible the flanges/horns/shields that came with the pump are too large for you? With an A cup, that' the most likely scenario. I am a c/d depending on how full they are and the normal one is almost too big for ME! But I also have small-ish nipples.

Watch when you are pumping. Is your areola being pressed on by the pump flange edges when there is suction applied? or is it getting sucked into the tube leading to the valve? Watch carefully. If your entire areola is getting sucked in, you need a smaller flange or an insert if it's available for your pump. . . what brand is it? Is it a double pump? Those are usually a bit more effective. Is the suction setting high or low enough? Some women get better results with lower suction levels than others. . . I have to use it on the highest setting. . . .
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

with PP

hmmm. Are you relaxed mama? I used to have to look at a pic of my baby and imagine him needing fed to "get in the mood" and then my milk would let down.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Those are all good suggestions, but it also might just be that your body needs some time to adjust to the pump. It's not surprising you're not getting much/anything on your first try, especially if you just nursed a little while ago. just keep trying. Some mamas find it works well to nurse on one side and simultaneously pump on the other.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It is a double pump. I think that the breast shield is too big for my right side...most of my areola does get sucked into it. I found online where I can get different size shields...that will be a good start! I pumped again twice today and I definitely got a little more.

Thanks for the help!

Good, I'm glad you are having some success. Just keep us in mind if it doesn't help . . .
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I am having a similar experience. I find that I get more when my DS nurses on the other side. Did your electric pump come with the parts to turn it into a manual pump? I find that if I am not nursing I get more out with the manual pump??

I had this issue when I first tried pumping.... I got much more when I pumped while feeding, and soon I learned to let down to the pump alone and now I get plenty. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dragoness View Post
    I had this issue when I first tried pumping.... I got much more when I pumped while feeding, and soon I learned to let down to the pump alone and now I get plenty. Good luck!
    What do you mean by "...let down to the pump alone..."?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!