Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: introducing cereal

Default Re: introducing cereal

We started with 4-5 tbsp milk. The second night we did 4 tbsp milk. The third night we did 3 tbsp. milk - etc. - until it was to the desired consistency.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I never made it that runny, and I think I used water. That was with my first baby and she had her first taste of rice cereal at 5 months. I am skipping it this time around with the new one, I started with bananas like a lot of other people. My husband really wants to do the grains though so I might make my own from either oatmeal or brown rice. My little one is about one week shy of being 6 months.

i haven't tried the oatmeal yet (it's sitting on my counter waiting for me to get back around to it after all the fruits and veggies we've been trying), but i had a really hard time with making my own brown rice cereal. i couldn't get it to not be gritty, and DS couldn't stand that. so i'm hoping oatmeal will go smoother.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

I skipped cereal altogether and I know a bunch of other mothers did here as well. It's not on LLL list of first foods (Which you can find out on the FAQ pages of the forum) and it has no real nutritional value other than the iron they add to it. But added iron is not nearly as absorbable as just food that really has iron in it.....and since my goal was not to feed my child anything but real, whole foods, going from breast milk to something very highly processed with no nutritional value made no sense to me. We went straight to real foods. There are some great suggestions out in that page in the main site. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I also skipped cereal. I started with mashed bananas I always recommend this website for starting solids. They also tell you how to make your own rice cereal!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09