Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: introducing cereal

Default introducing cereal

The box says to add one Tbs cereal to 4-5Tbs milk. This doesn't look much like "solids" to me. I feel like I'm just spoon feeding milk.Is this the way other moms start out? How long/often to you stick with this stage? When do you thicken the cereal? How progressive are you in changing the ratio?

How much do you prepare at a time? I just don't want to waste a bunch of milk and have her not eat it. I think 5Tbs is close to 2oz. Although it might not seem like much, it adds up and I do donate to a local mom.

DD is 5.5months and is always trying to take my food/drink if I'm holding her or close to her and stares at me like "where's my share" when I'm at the table eating. I thought I'd try it more for fun than nutrition. So I don't plan to try everyday. Just on bath days when I know I have to clean her up!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: introducing cereal

It may be very runny, it should pour off the spoon at first then thicken them as Baby gets older.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I started out with one cereal feeding a day and worked up till she was taking 2-3 meals a day and a total of a 1/2 cup after it was mixed. I kept this up for 3-4 weeks of cereal only. I started with thin cereal and thickened it up as they got better at eating it. Experiment with the consistency that works best for you. I kept feeding cereal alone until they were really good at eating it from a spoon, then I thickened it up.

I started at 7.5 mos, I didn't do the runny one, I just added enough to make it runny, like pureed baby food.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

have you introduced any other foods before cereal? if you haven't fed her anything else but cereal so far you have other options as far as introducing solids. my baby is the same as yours, 5.5 months and is doing exactly the same thing ( reaching out/being interested in what we are eating at the table ). so far i've introduced mashed bananas, mashed grape insides ( peeled the skin off ), butternut squash, mashed blueberries... he seems to really like eating the squashed grapes but he still doesn't seem to be 100% ready for solids yet. my mom suggested to try baby cereals now but i am unsure about the product itself. like you said it is mostly milk and i don't really want to introduce cows milk into his diet quite yet.
    very proud mommy to alexander
    7.5 lbs at birth and growing like crazy
    breastfed for 18 months
    .....now expecting number two! it's a surprise, due June 11, 2012
    i love my little family

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetmama View Post
    have you introduced any other foods before cereal? if you haven't fed her anything else but cereal so far you have other options as far as introducing solids. my baby is the same as yours, 5.5 months and is doing exactly the same thing ( reaching out/being interested in what we are eating at the table ). so far i've introduced mashed bananas, mashed grape insides ( peeled the skin off ), butternut squash, mashed blueberries... he seems to really like eating the squashed grapes but he still doesn't seem to be 100% ready for solids yet. my mom suggested to try baby cereals now but i am unsure about the product itself. like you said it is mostly milk and i don't really want to introduce cows milk into his diet quite yet.
    I'm sure she's talking about mixing it with her breastmilk. Cow's milk shouldn't be introduced until after your baby is a year old.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

i only did the cereal twice, since DS didn't like it. then we switched to homemade banana puree mixed with BM, but yes, you do want it to pour off the spoon. the term "solid" only refers to any food other than BM or formula. don't worry, you can gradually thicken it up over the next few weeks as your baby seems comfortable with it. at least, we did, and DS was fine.

i would put a tablespoon or two of pureed banana in a dish, and then add just a little BM at a time and stir it up until it was runny. then, if they want more, you can make more, but you're not wasting anything.

and since you're doing it for fun, don't worry if they don't eat it all. DS only took a little at first, but now it's his favorite time of day....well, 2nd favorite. favorite is the boob he gets right AFTER the solids.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

thanks for all the advice. the cereal honestly seemed pointless to me since there isn't that much nutritional value. but everyone starts with it so i thought there must be a reason.

i think i'll try mushing bananas since i've read a lot of moms have success with that (and dh loves them so they're in the house and won't go to waste).

what are some fruits to avoid. i've read to avoid citrus because it can irritate around the mouth. any others?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla.mom View Post
    thanks for all the advice. the cereal honestly seemed pointless to me since there isn't that much nutritional value. but everyone starts with it so i thought there must be a reason.
    The reason is that people used to start solids much earlier before babies were able to feed themselves. Now that the recommendation to delay solids to 6 mos is in place the recommended starter foods haven't caught up.

Have you looked into Baby led solids? I loved it, it made mealtimes so much easier and more fun.

Either way, bananas are a good way to start, as are avocados and sweet potatos.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Just some warnings about introducing solids too early, too frequently, or too much. I wish someone would have shared this with me, so I will pass it along!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html