Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cooking with breast milk – lipase issue

Default Cooking with breast milk – lipase issue

I still can't bring myself to toss the 20+ gallons of breast milk that tastes terrible. DS is 5 mos and so far all he has had is breast milk but we were going to start introducing foods in the next couple of months. I was thinking of trying to make a simple rice pudding with the yucky milk – has anyone tried this? I found a rice pudding recipe that uses pumpkin puree that I thought might help to mask the taste of the milk. Or maybe I could make icecream with it (he is teething and likes cold things) if I could find a plain enough recipe?

Has anyone tried cooking with their yucky breast milk or have any thoughts or suggestions about doing so?

Default Re: Cooking with breast milk – lipase issue

Of course! Why didn't I think to look at Kellymom! Thanks for the link!

has he refused the milk?
    sometimes todder will take milk with out much fuss that mom thinks is bad

What a great idea! I've discovered my milk gets soapy after 2 days in the fridge, but I don't know yet how long it keeps frozen. I'll keep these recipes in my back pocket so I don't have to throw it all out! Another 3 months-ish and DS can start trying the breastmilk recipes.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    has he refused the milk?
    sometimes todder will take milk with out much fuss that mom thinks is bad
    He will refuse it unless he is starving and then he will fight it (arches his back while drinking it, latches/unlatches from the bottle every few sips, and spits up a lot of it). We thought he had GERD until we figured out it was a lipase issue . I feel so bad for forcing him to drink it as long as I did . Fortunately, he drinks the scalded milk just fine!

Have you considered donating your milk to a milk bank? I just got approved as a one time donor. I'll be sending off my 575 oz of icky lipase milk this week.