Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with my 12 month old

Question Help with my 12 month old

My baby has never had a bottle, and I just introduced a sippy cup about a month ago. He loves it. He started taking solids on a regular basis about two months ago. He's just over doubled his weight at a year (supposed to have tripled) so the pediatrician told me to make sure he eats at least two solid meals a day. With the increase in solids, and the sippy cup or two a day, his nursing has cut back to naptime, night time, and middle of the night. I offer him the breast all the time, but he just doesn't want it. I offer it before he eats solid foods, or has a sippy cup, but he doesn't want it. Tonight, he wouldn't even nurse before bed. That makes my night very uncomfortable!! I don't see any reason for a nursing strike. Nothing has happened, nothing has changed, and he doesn't seem upset by nursing. I try and nurse him though and he just rolls away from me. Any advice?

Default Re: Help with my 12 month old

Sounds frustrating . . . . when my daughter was around that age she got really interested in feeding herself and for awhile was less interested in nursing, although her interest returned with time. Maybe you could try to make the environment as boring as possible when nursing, so that nursing appears (relatively) more interesting? Or nurse when he is sleepy? (This often worked for us.) Also, if he loves the sippy cup and you are concerned about him taking in more BM, you could always put EBM in his sippy cup if he will take it.

Hope things improve soon!

I don't really have any additional advice to what pp said, but just wanted to add an FYI regarding the weight. According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, the norm for breastfed babies is to reach about 2 1/2 times birthweight by one year, rather than triple as is commonly used as the benchmark. So, your baby may still be below average in growth, but not quite as much as you thought.

Kaytlynn is going throug the SAME Thing. I too have started giving her at least two solids a day sometimes even three and she gets about four to six ounces of water sometimes with about half ounce of juice mixed in. She doesn't eat much, but she is getting to where she won't nurse before bed and sometimes won't even nurse before naps. URGG, I'm sorry I don't have anything to help you. I have however read that many times they will loose interest and then regain it. I'm hoping that is what's going to happen. DD is also a very light little girl and not on the charts. Well shes below the three percentale! OH well, she looks good and is HAPPY and acts VERY healthy. I look at the baby not the scale! lOL

my dd is 15mths eats some solids but is mostly BF. at her 12mth check she was in the 97th% for weight and 100th for height. Does anyone know why some babies really thrive on BM and others have slow weight gain?

My son is 12 months also, and he went through a stage of just nursing 3 times a day, but now is nursing like 4-6 times day. Nothing changed, he eats more solids now than before, I think as he explores the world more he needs more comfort.

When he would refuse I would wear an interesting necklace that he could play with while nursing.