Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plenty of stimulation but nothing comes out...

Default Plenty of stimulation but nothing comes out...

Exactly one week ago, I received an emergency C-section because of pre-eclampsia, low amniotic fluid and my baby was just not growing. This was done during week 31 of gestation while my baby was at a growth of 28 weeks of gestation. The pediatrician at the NICU asked for any milk that I'd been able to pump from the third day after my baby was born. I have tried supplements, nipple stimulation, putting the pump on every two hours for 15 minutes, but absolutely no milk is coming out. The only thing that did come out was blood out of one of my nipples. Does that mean that I will never be able to nurse my baby? I do understand that it is the ideal for my baby to have breast milk even though she is already being given formula at the Nicu. I'm desperate and really want to breastfeed but zero! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Plenty of stimulation but nothing comes out...

Hi mama! Congratulations on your baby.

I'm about to ask a lot of questions so get ready! How is baby now? How soon after baby was born were you able to start pumping? How often do you pump? What kind of pump are you using? Are you able to see baby often? Are you able to touch or hold your baby? Have they let you put baby to breast? (even though babies won't be able to breastfeed yet, a lot of times the action of rooting and skin to skin can help your supply)

I know...a lot of questions but hopefully with some of those answers we can help!

And to answer your question.....NO. this does not mean that you will never be able to nurse. We'll help you get there mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: Plenty of stimulation but nothing comes out...

Good questions from the PP. And she's right- we'll help you get there!

Was your pre-E treated with magnesium sulfate? I've read several anecdotal reports suggesting that mag. sulf. can delay milk production (here is one).

I would ask the doc(s) who performed your c-section about your placenta: sometimes a fragment of placenta is left inside mom, and that can hinder milk production because the fragment "tricks" the body into behaving as if it were still pregnant.

Keep up with the pumping! And see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"