Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/hindmilk balance with pumped milk?

Default Foremilk/hindmilk balance with pumped milk?

I will be going back to work, and have been pumping to build a freezer stash (I sometimes travel for work and want to be extra prepared, but will also be pumping at work). Currently, because of overactive let-down and over-supply, my baby is having issues with gas. I'm worried about feeding him frozen breastmilk if there could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance in the stored BM. Can anyone reassure me about this? Because of my oversupply issues, I tend to pump before putting him to the breast. I do breast compression/massage while pumping. I just don't want to be setting him up for more GI problems down the road.

Talking Re: Foremilk/hindmilk balance with pumped milk?

Okay, I have a couple of different scenarios for you. Hopefully one will help with your situation . . .

1. Don't pump before putting him to the breast if you are worried about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. If you only feed him from one side, pump the other side while feeding him on the other. That way, you can ensure a let-down and you can know that you are pumping hindmilk as well, and not just foremilk.

2. I personally don't have a problem with let down, but some women do. I also had OS and OALD issues early on . . . do you normally feed him on one side at a time, only? If you switch before he's done on one side, you are almost gauranteeing he gets lots of foremilk and little hindmilk. Let him finish on one side. If he still seems hungry after that, THEN offer the other side . . .

3. If you are pumping until let down and then feeding him straight from the breast, you have almost definitely created an imbalance in your stored milk. It's okay, though. You can still use the foremilk for cereal or homemade baby food, later on down the road . . . OR you can donate it to the milk banks, but if you are trying to avoid the gas and explosive green frothy poops, don't feed foremilk alone to your LO. Try and pump an entire boob . . . not just the first half . . . if you want to feed it to him straight.

4. I had oversupply issues in the beginning, and mine lasted from the third day all the way up until she was 4.5-5 months old. Mine just regulated itself. . . I don't know how, I just know I kept pumping when I got engorged, all the way until I was empty and fed her exclusively from the breast when with her. . . no pumping at home. Only at work. I think that may be what did the regulating for me. . .

I really hope something here will help you, in your situation. I know every one is different, but there are some common things with everyone. . . It's hard but you can do it!!
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Default Re: Foremilk/hindmilk balance with pumped milk?

idk if this will help but ... when i pumped and i seen my milk very clear then i knew it was the foremilk, especailly when i was REALLY engorged, i would pump like 5oz of it. but im not saying pump untill you see only white/hind milk but you can tell if you are ONLY pumping hind milk if thats what your worried about.