Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me convince DH to do BLW

Default Re: Help me convince DH to do BLW

-the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk. Check out #10 under Recommendations on Breastfeeding for Healthy Term Infants: "Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk."
    -Complementary Feeding: A Commentary by the ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition. Conclusions include the following: "Exclusive or full breast-feeding for about 6 months is a desirable goal. Complementary feeding should not be introduced in any infant before 17 weeks, and all infants should start complementary feeding by 26 weeks."
    -Infant Sleep and Bedtime Cereal. (Abstract). States that "feeding infants rice cereal in the bottle before bedtime does not appear to make much difference in their sleeping through the night."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only case in which I can maybe believe that a little cereal would help a baby sleep better, is if he's a refluxy baby and the cereal helps settle his stomach. I have been giving my lo small amounts of cereal since 5.5 months and it really has decreased his spitting-up a lot. He was already sttn, though, when I started with the cereal
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

When I had read about BLW for the first time I found it fascinating, so much so, that I had to go and tell my DH about it. He looked me like "why are you so excited about this?" Men are so less motherly (duh), he didnt understand what the big deal about BLW was. He even deflated my balloon by saying "the baby isnt really choosing what she wants to eat because your the one choosing what you put on her plate to choose from, so actually its still you.." so frustrating.

Plus, he grew up with 3 younger step sister and prior to DD2 thought he knew all there was to know about BABIES. Once we had DD2 (DD1 is from a previous relationship) he became very quiet in his opinons about babies. When BLW was explained to him he immediately referred to the rice cereal as well. claiming it would make her sleep through the night.. and he's not even the one that gets up with her!!

So one day we were having a yummy friday dinner (payday!) and he cooked steaks on the grill and just to try him out I said, "Why don't you give DD a slice of your steak and see if she likes it.." Men! Anything to do with steaks... just so he could say her first solid was steak and she LOVED IT. Ever since then he has had no problem with her eating anything. I was the one cautioning him on allergies and stuff. She's 11 months old now, and loves her black eyed peas with daddy.

So it may be in the way you approach him. In stead of quoting Associations, notorious Pedi-Doctors, or "susan" on the LLL said..., simply (i hate to say it) manipulate him. And make it his idea. Sometimes to get them out of our side of the baby department we just have to do this. Well i guess just me.. lol.
    Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead, The Stealing of America, 1983

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. ~Author Unknown

This is Gill Rapley's website, which has some basics and links to other stuff on the subject. Get him to have a look! If he won't even look he's forfeited his right to choose by not giving himself all the information, surely? http://www.rapleyweaning.com/
    I think it's hard second time round with a different partner, especially if you're parenting very differently as you feel you should know but that's not always the case. Trust your instincts as main caregiver! Enjoy the baby led mess!
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Will he read? Gill Rapleys Baby-Led Weaning is a great book! It lays it all out plain and simple.
    worked great in helping me and my SO feel good about BLS
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

It took me a while to convince dh about the benefits of blw. Being scientist he wanted to see references to scientific studies, which the rapley book lacked. He has found lot's of them in pub med (where all scientific papers are published). Now we can't wait to get started
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cailindeas View Post
    It took me a while to convince dh about the benefits of blw. Being scientist he wanted to see references to scientific studies, which the rapley book lacked. He has found lot's of them in pub med (where all scientific papers are published). Now we can't wait to get started
    That's great!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cailindeas View Post
    Are there any of those that are publicly available? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see them so I could pass them on to people like my pediatrician sister in law.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

I'm not sure if you have to sign up to get them.
    I'll ask him.
    The papers are not specifically supporting blw/s but they support a lot of her theories.

Unfortunately my public health nurses don't agree with blw. She wanted me to start ds on solids!!! She said that the paeditricians don't support blw
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09

They all have different opinions. When my son turned 6 months, my health visitor said not to bother using purees and just give him regular food.