Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should I give in bottle!!

Default How much should I give in bottle!!

So I know this may sound ridiculous but how much BM should I be giving baby in the bottle. She is 5 wk 4 days and I have been giving her 2.5 ounces and she spits it up quite a bit, but them acts hungry. So I am just trying to figure out how much to give her without overfeeding her.

Default Re: How much should I give in bottle!!

When my LO was 5 weeks I was giving her 2 oz at a time, then would give her an additional ounce if she still acted hungry. Within the next few weeks things changed quickly however, and she started eating between 3-3.5 ounces standard. By about 10 weeks she started eating 4 ounces on a regular basis.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I read that a baby this age takes 1 - 1.5 ounces per hour.

Can you nurse at the breast? Babies are much better at regulating how much milk they take directly from the tap vs. from a bottle.

1-1.5 oz per hour is normal. I found that I had to stop the bottle feeding every 1/2 ounce and burp or dd would spit up a ton. Get the slow flow nipples and really take it slow. It also depended how long I would be away from her, at 5 weeks the most was 2-3 hours to go and teach, so I would really try and get away without using a bottle, but would start with 2oz. in there and really make an effort to have whomever was feeding her stop often to burp and slow the feeding down.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Nursing has been a struggle for us. She was tongue tied till last week. And since then it has been so much better. She is now taking the breast half the time. But at night when she is in her fussy time. Yeah we try to nurse but after 5 minutes of trying no use. But thank you for letting me know some tricks i appreciate it