Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping after feeding

Default pumping after feeding

i feed my 2 wk old daughter on one breast then i pump the other one and i only get one or 2 ounces but she eats almost 3. why am i not getting 3 oz from the breast that i dont feed her on?

Default Re: pumping after feeding

The pump isn't nearly as effective at removing the milk from the breast as the baby. It's perfectly normal, just relax. Try breast compressions while you pump, as you get to the last dregs of milk, . . . . or try pumping st the same time, while you are feeding her , some women don't get a let down reflex unless the baby is feeding at the same time. . . hopefully someone will come along and help with some links for more info, but I hope this helps. . .
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wombatred26 View Post
    The pump isn't nearly as effective at removing the milk from the breast as the baby.

Can I ask why are you pumping this early mama? Do you need to return to work soon?

I ask because your babe is really itty bitty and your body is taking her cues right now on how much mik you need. If you pump too much right now you could end up wit over supply. It takes the body about 6-8 weeks to regulate based on what baby is eating and if you are pumpiong then it tells your body that baby needs that extra milk too. I speak from experience. I pumped too much at the beginning and ended up with WAAAAY more milk than baby needed.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

thanks guys.

no reason why iam pumping so early i thought it would be good to get a good start and just in case i need to go somewhere i have milk stored up for a bottle. is that why iam not getting as much cuz iam too early?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl2010 View Post
    is that why iam not getting as much cuz iam too early?
    It's more likely because a) you're not used to pumping or b) you don't have the right pump. What sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

iam using the medela metro bag pump.

This? If it's a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, that's an excellent pump!

Maybe it's the shields that are the issue? Too large/too small and you won't get maximum stimulation and milk removal.

ETA: 1-2 oz with a 2 week old baby is fine supply. Let's say she eats 2 oz from breast A and 1 oz from breast B- bingo! She's getting 3 oz per feeding. And your body quickly learns how to make just the right amount of milk, without a lot of extra left over. Also, just because a baby will eat 3 oz from a bottle doesn't mean she actually requires 3 oz: most babies overeat when they eat from a bottle because the bottle doesn't respond to changes in sucking the way the breast does. When the baby stops actively sucking on the breast, milk flow slows down a lot or stops. When the baby stops actively sucking on the bottle, milk flow slows down very little. So even as a baby comfort-sucks on a bottle, she gets quite a lot of milk in her mouth and she must swallow it or choke.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"