Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The Progression of BF

Default The Progression of BF

I'm not quite sure how to ask this question, so forgive me if it doesn't seem very clear.

What is breastfeeding supposed to be like at 7 mos, 9 mos, 1 year, etc.? I mean, what is the progression of it? For example, when DD was a newborn she ate all the time. But then she got much more efficient. Since she's started solids she isn't as interested in nursing and, a lot of the time, I feel like I'm forcing it on her. Is she still supposed to be nursing every two (or so) hours? Right now our days go like this: 5:30-bf, 7:30-bf, 9:00-oatmeal and fruit, 10:00-bf, 12:30-bf, 2:00-bf, 4:00-bf, 6:00-veggies and brown rice, 8:00-bf and down for the night. A lot of the time DD pops off and is clearly wanting to get down to play. And she shows absolutely NO interest after dinner before bed. Am I trying to push it too much? She dropped a lot in her weight percentile (95% at 2 mos, 85% at 4 mos, 59% at 6 mos) so I'm just really conscientious of her eating. Now, I know that weight charts are based on ff infants, bf infants bulk up faster and they normally drop in weight percentile when the become more active/start solids, but it doesn't help my worrying.

So, are you still with me? What is our bf-ing supposed to look like?
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Default Re: The Progression of BF

I'm so glad you posted this because I was wondering the very same thing about us. T is 6 months, though.

So...BUMP!

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

breastmilk should make up the bulk of your babies nutrition until about a year. So according to kellymom.com, baby should be getting 75% of nutrition from breastmilk at a year (solids making up 25%), 50% (solids making up 50%) by 18 months, and 20% at 2 years (solids making up 80%).

info taken from here
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    breastmilk should make up the bulk of your babies nutrition until about a year. So according to kellymom.com, baby should be getting 75% of nutrition from breastmilk at a year (solids making up 25%), 50% (solids making up 50%) by 18 months, and 20% at 2 years (solids making up 80%).]

Though don't be too surprised if your baby's diet looks different from what's posted above- babies are so individual in their eating habits! Some fall in love with solids and eat a lot of them rather early, and some have no interest in them until well past a year.

Since she's started solids she isn't as interested in nursing and, a lot of the time, I feel like I'm forcing it on her. Is she still supposed to be nursing every two (or so) hours?
    I'm not sure there's a "supposed to" in the equation, though it certainly can't hurt to nurse every 2 hours!

Right now our days go like this: 5:30-bf, 7:30-bf, 9:00-oatmeal and fruit, 10:00-bf, 12:30-bf, 2:00-bf, 4:00-bf, 6:00-veggies and brown rice, 8:00-bf and down for the night.
    So she's nursing 7 times a day? That sounds good to me.

A lot of the time DD pops off and is clearly wanting to get down to play.
    That sounds normal for an active baby.

And she shows absolutely NO interest after dinner before bed. Am I trying to push it too much?
    You can't push BF too much. Seriously! And your LO is obviously comfortable indicating "no thanks" when she's not interested.

She dropped a lot in her weight percentile (95% at 2 mos, 85% at 4 mos, 59% at 6 mos) so I'm just really conscientious of her eating. Now, I know that weight charts are based on ff infants, bf infants bulk up faster and they normally drop in weight percentile when the become more active/start solids, but it doesn't help my worrying.
    Those weight percentiles sound just fine. Babies wiggle around all over the charts, and once your baby is mobile, she's going to lose a lot of chub. As long as she continues to gain in height and head circumference, there's no reason to worry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you thank you thank you! I just needed some assurance that we were doing okay.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).