Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to pump?

Default How much to pump?

Hi,
    I was just wondering what the best way is pump to get a feed off for my little one. I have been advised to pump an ounce off each time I feed, but this then takes the day to get a whole feed off. Is there a more efficient way, or less time consuming?
    Also how much should I leave for my little monkey for a feed when I leave him? At present I am leaving about 6 ounces, is this enough for a 15 week old?

Default Re: How much to pump?

Most moms find that their supply is "best" first thing in the morning and pump after baby's first morning feed.

Some pump on one side while baby nurses on the other side.

How long are you and baby going to be apart?

The general rule of thumb is baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz for every hour away from mom.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I used to leave three 4 oz bottles of bm when I went back to work and had to take DD to daycare from about 7:30am to 4:30-5 pm. Sometimes I would leave 5 oz., but she never increased more than that in a single feed, even at a year old.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.