Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will it really come back??

Default Will it really come back??

Hey there, I got my first pp period last week, after 6 months. My supply has gone down drastically! I've heard it will come back up on it's own after my period is done. Is that true? I don't want to run out and get a bunch of stuff to increase and end up not needing it. I'm pumping every 3 hours and drinking lot's of water. It doen't help that it co-incided with my twins increasing thier feed amounts by an ounce each. My goal is to get enough stored to get them to a year. It's so frustrating! I was really hoping to not even have AF back yet. Thanks for any insight!

Tara

Default Re: Will it really come back??

I've heard it will come back up on it's own after my period is done. Is that true?
    Partially true. It should bounce back to some extent even if you do nothing. However, it may not bounce back much or as much as you need it to! Generally, it's the baby who does a lot of the work in terms of getting supply to increase: when supply is down, the baby feeds more often and the extra stimulation causes supply to increase. If you're exclusively pumping, I strongly suggest trying to mimic a baby's increased demand by pumping more frequently. And I wouldn't feel bad about running out and getting some fenugreek and oatmeal to help increase supply. You might not need it this time, but now that AF is back you may well need it next time, and it certainly can't hurt to try it (unless you have blood sugar control issues, in which case you should probably speak to a doctor before using fenugreek).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Will it really come back??

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! I did get these drops my health food storerecomended, similar to the Mother's milk tea. I also picked up the stuff to make the lactation cookies. It's coming back a bit, but with the boys increasing thier volume, it will be good to have a bit more. Thanks again!