Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finger foods like cheerios?

Default finger foods like cheerios?

hey i'm doing BLS and one thing my DD loves is Cheerios! and she has a pretty good pincher grip so far but has anyone tried rice krispies or plain puff wheat? if you have how did it go over with your LO? I also saw the new Jumbo rice krispies but they have a "touch of honey" and i'm leary about added sugars at her age so if regular plain rice krispies even though there smaller work i wanna try em.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: finger foods like cheerios?

DS1 loved plain puffed brown rice and it was his first finger food. We tried plain puffed wheat and he loved that too but he had a reaction to it. We couldn't do cheerios because of the wheat in them so he lived off the puffed rice. Annie's also makes some whole wheat bunny crackers. Now that DS1 can have wheat he eats those all the time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Aside from being an added sugar, as you pointed out already, honey is not advisable for babies until _at least_ one year of age because of the risk for botulism.

I would think the problem with something as small as rice krispies might be that they are _so_ small, your lo might accidentally inhale it... (?)
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pianosinger View Post
    Aside from being an added sugar, as you pointed out already, honey is not advisable for babies until _at least_ one year of age because of the risk for botulism.

I would think the problem with something as small as rice krispies might be that they are _so_ small, your lo might accidentally inhale it... (?)
    If you can find puffed brown rice it's a lot bigger than rice crispies so I think the risk of inhalation is negligible.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Cheerios have a lot of sugar actually. Puffins are great. Sweeten with fruit juice and a much larger size. They have them made of rice too.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My Ped also said to stay away from Honey cause apparently in some instances( he had one during his practice) it can cause an infant to die pretty instantly cause i guess of the way it drips can land in there wind pipe and not move so just in case we're staying clear of all honeys, syrup things never to careful.. definately gonna look for those puff wheat and rice... can you find them in a normal grocery store or do i have to go to a health food store?
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

My regular grocery store has puffed wheat, rice, kamut, corn etc in the organic section. We offered pretty much all of them for variety. Corn was last due to the size.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manddbp View Post
    My Ped also said to stay away from Honey cause apparently in some instances( he had one during his practice) it can cause an infant to die pretty instantly cause i guess of the way it drips can land in there wind pipe and not move so just in case we're staying clear of all honeys, syrup things never to careful.. definately gonna look for those puff wheat and rice... can you find them in a normal grocery store or do i have to go to a health food store?
    I get mine at Stop & Shop, but not sure if you have those.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi!

My son also loved cheerios but we never tried rice krispies or other cereals.

We gave him basic quaker Rice Cakes and he LOVED them and still eats that all the time (at age 2 yrs) so I highly recommend it,
    as the ingredient list is: Rice.

good luck!

with PP about avoiding honey due to botulism worries.

i'm going to have to try rice cakes, since my son is seeming ready for some finger foods, but our non-salted saltines seem to bore him. i am also going to try wheat toast this week.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/