Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding on the go - advice needed!

Default feeding on the go - advice needed!

I have a 9 mth old who is slowly getting into solid food. Anyway, my question is how do you mums feed solids on the go? I live in a remote area so if I go into town or I'm out and about it's not always possible to get home for lunch.

So far I've been freezing veg, defrosting it in the microwave before I go and popping it in an insulated bag to keep it warm. The other day I added some cheese to a veg mix and then wondered if keeping that warm was in fact a bit dangerous. I haven't fed him meat while I'm out as keeping that warm seems like a no no. What do other mums do when they're out? (Jars aren't an option as they aren't really sold here. Only the fruity ones)

Default Re: feeding on the go - advice needed!

Baby led solids. I find something on my plate when we are out that I can give the baby. Or I skip that meal and just nurse instead.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

yup at 9 months missing a meal of solids is just fine for baby.
    I used to take baggies with cold cereal they could self feed.
    Or canned with juice fruits, a bannana is a great take along food.

Same here, just nursed more while out. Or brought something easy like a banana or sometimes an avocado and a knife to cut it (if we weren't going to be somewhere like a restaurant where I'd just use theirs). Bits of what ever I was having were a big hit too!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I just fed off my plate or nursed but I have brought some fruit with me or dry finger foods with me in a sealed container
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I would definitely avoid keeping ANY foods heated for a long time, even cooked veggies can get dangerous bacteria when sitting too long at room or just above room temperature.

LIke PP, we take along a banana or some healthy dry cereal in case she can't have what is on my plate (but usually I have something she can eat). In a pinch, I just nurse more and we still skip an occassional dinner.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!