Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DH gave her WHOLE MILK!

Default Re: DH gave her WHOLE MILK!

We never put milk in a bottle. We just went to a sippy. It worked well and we didn't have any transition problems at all.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    We never put milk in a bottle. We just went to a sippy. It worked well and we didn't have any transition problems at all.
    But, then how do you make that transition? She takes 2-3 bottles in a day and at least one of them is to go down for nap. If she is currently nursing/bottle feeding 5-6 times in a day how do I make sure she gets the same amount if she's using a sippy?
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

one of my sippies has little ounce lines on it. i think it's also the one with the handles.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Honestly, when she started with it, it didn't have any impact on her nursing (we rarely gave bottles). It was more about discovery / playing with it and didn't really change her intake otherwise. Kind of like when we first started solids, it was just an addition to, not a replacement of anything.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Honestly, when she started with it, it didn't have any impact on her nursing (we rarely gave bottles). It was more about discovery / playing with it and didn't really change her intake otherwise. Kind of like when we first started solids, it was just an addition to, not a replacement of anything.
    OH, ok. My situation might be a little different then. I already supplement with formula for one of the 3 bottles at DC. She doesn't always take that bottle but, it's the safety net because I can only pump enough at this point for 2 bottles. When I pump wean, and we run out of formula, I guess I will put whole milk in the bottles.

Thanks
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

as far as being worried about cow's milk, apparently in Canada they say it can be given as early as 9 or 10 months, so i don't suppose you should worry that it's going to hurt your LO.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

While you are transitioning to whole milk, why don't you introduce the sippy while she's still using the bottle? My DD got to where she liked the sippy more than the bottle and wouldn't use the bottle anymore. If you still give her the bottles then you don't have to worry that she's not getting enough milk. and she can experiment with sippies at the same time. Eventually, you will get her to use one that she likes even if it seems like it takes forever. A year is a good time to think about getting her to drop the bottle - teeth, etc...
    Does that sound like it would work for you?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    While you are transitioning to whole milk, why don't you introduce the sippy while she's still using the bottle? My DD got to where she liked the sippy more than the bottle and wouldn't use the bottle anymore. If you still give her the bottles then you don't have to worry that she's not getting enough milk. and she can experiment with sippies at the same time. Eventually, you will get her to use one that she likes even if it seems like it takes forever. A year is a good time to think about getting her to drop the bottle - teeth, etc...
    Does that sound like it would work for you?
    She actually has been using sippy cups for the last few months already. It all started when she started crawling. She would see her sister (3 yo) with one and would crawl to it and try to "steal" it. So, we started giving her sippys with water or watered down juice. She does ok with them, especially the ones with the straw. But, she typically only drinks an ounce or so at a time. I don't want to get into the habit of letting her snack on a sippy cup of something all day (we did that with DD2 and had major problems getting her to eat food). I think we will keep going the way we are for now. Sippys with meals and bottles for a while.
    Thanks for all your help mamas!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommaefvie View Post
    from what i've read, the recommendation about not giving whole milk until a year stems mostly from the fact that docs don't want you completely replacing breast milk or formula with milk too early, so they just said not to give it at all. that, and the allergy thing, but if you don't have any history of dairy allergies, your LO will probably be just fine.

yes, i have also been researching the dairy issue and have found (also from ped admission) that the primary reason that cows milk is advised against from about 9 to 12 mos is because there is a fear that it will become a bm (or formula) substitute and as it is not nearly as nutritionally complete as bm, this could result in deficiencies for your LO. again, i have been told that the risk of allergy is significantly lowered by about 9mos. as long as your LO is getting enough nutrition, cows milk should not pose a threat to her!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in