Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH gave her WHOLE MILK!

Default DH gave her WHOLE MILK!

I am not sure where to post...so, I figured this fit the best. Anyway, DD3 will be 1 in just 2 weeks (OMG!). She has been very interested in DD2's sippy cups from the time she started crawling. We have given her both water and juice in sippys every once in a while. Today, I was taking a shower during lunch time and came down to find DD3 with whole milk in her cup. DH said she just screamed and screamed when she saw DD2's cup (totally normal for her to do that) and he decided why not try it since we are so close to the 1 year mark.
    Other than an allergic reaction (which I doubt will happen) is this really a big deal? It's not like we replaced a normal nursing session or bottle with whole milk.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: DH gave her WHOLE MILK!

She's close enough, IMO. It's one of those things, where I'm much more accepting of DH doing something (as a parent) than I am of a non-parent. Especially if this isn't your first child, he's got a say too. If this was the path that you were going to be taking anyway, I don't think that a couple of weeks is a big deal.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Lol! Could have been a lot worse. I think she will be okay.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Yeah, this is probably the route we're going. Right now we are supplementing with one bottle of formula during the week at DC but, the plan is to go to whole milk after this can of formula is gone. With DD2 we stayed with formula because she was such a skinny thing. I guess I freaked out a bit because I had posted once before about supplementing with whole milk instead of formula and was given the advice that it was a really bad idea. Of course, in hindsite that was almost 2 months ago.
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

I would have been mad. but that doesn't mean that would have been the right reaction. I just like everything to go my way! LOL If you don't have any dairy allergies in the family, then it should be ok. I'm sure that if the milk is in a sippy cup - then she won't replace that with nursing sessions. Just like she'll still eat meals and then nurse. Were you thinking about weaning her onto cow's milk soon anyway??

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

At this age, it will b ok. Just watch for signs of sensitiviy and shrug it off. Won't be the last time a LO gets something you don't want.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't think I'd be mad unless you have a family history of a dairy sensativity. If it were an IL or nanny yes, but a parent giving whole cow's milk at a few weeks shy of one year is really not a biggie IMHO.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I think the reason you were advised to use formula instead of whole milk when your dd was 9 or 10 months, was probably more about nutrition than a possible reaction. There isn't as many calories, vitamins, nutrients, etc in whole milk as there is in formula. So switching to whole milk and using that as the base for nutrition before the age of one isn't advised.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

from what i've read, the recommendation about not giving whole milk until a year stems mostly from the fact that docs don't want you completely replacing breast milk or formula with milk too early, so they just said not to give it at all. that, and the allergy thing, but if you don't have any history of dairy allergies, your LO will probably be just fine.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Were you thinking about weaning her onto cow's milk soon anyway??
    Yep, that's the plan...sort of. I think I will try to wean from pumping when she turns a year. Then, we will slowly work in cow's milk as one of her feedings at DC along with the formula bottle she already gets (not together of course).
    How does that work anyway? Should I give her milk in a bottle like it was formula or BM?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz