Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ounces

Default Ounces

I am pumping milk for emergencies. I know the recommendation is 2 ounces of milk in a stored bag, but I feel like that is not enough for my baby possibly. Ava is 8.5 weeks old and is 12 pounds (ebf!). There have been a few times my husband has given her a bottle, and she has taken up to 4 ounces. She might take more if we offered, but we haven't because I've heard 4 ounces is usually the max to offer. I am not sure if we are overfeeding her or not. She does NOT vomit or anything like that. It usually takes me 2 double pump sessions to get 3.75-4 ounces. What do you think I should do? If I did have 2 ounce bags, I assume that would be for snacks or do you think 2 ounces is really enough for her? Thanks!
    DS- May 2007
    DD- December 2009 (Weaned January 2012)
    DS- December 2012

Default Re: Ounces

Babies usually take 1-1.5oz per hour. DD takes 3oz every 3 hours when I am working. I *think* 3oz is about normal for EBF babies.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

3-4 oz should be good, probably closer to 3.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks!
    DS- May 2007
    DD- December 2009 (Weaned January 2012)
    DS- December 2012

Most breastfed babies take 2-4 ounces at a feeding. However, make sure to use the slowest flow nipples possible. It is very easy for babies to overeat at a bottle nipple because the milk flows continuously.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader