Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black beans from chipotle

Default Black beans from chipotle

I was thinking of giving ds black beans for the first time today. Does anyone know if Chipotle uses any sauce or spice I should be concerned about or is it pretty much "safe"?
    I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: Black beans from chipotle

My concern with pre-made black beans for a young one would be the salt content. Babies can't process a lot of sodium. You might be better off getting a can of low sodium beans and giving him that if you don't want to mess with making them yourself (which is surprisingly easy, if you want a good recipe let me know!).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    My concern with pre-made black beans for a young one would be the salt content. Babies can't process a lot of sodium. You might be better off getting a can of low sodium beans and giving him that if you don't want to mess with making them yourself (which is surprisingly easy, if you want a good recipe let me know!).

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

here is the nutrition info for their beans. They make them onsite.

Calories in Chipotle Black Beans
    Nutrition Facts
    Chipotle - Black Beans

1. Servings: 4oz

Calories 120 Sodium 250 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 23 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 11 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 7 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 4%
    Vitamin C 2% Iron 10%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Search our food database by name:
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Oh wow, that's not bad at all!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We love those black beans!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I've never had Chipotle beans, but I'd love a good recipe.

I'm with Paula. I've got a pot of black beans on the stove right now!

And that's not too bad on the salt for Chipotle.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I've never had Chipotle beans, but I'd love a good recipe.
    Me either, we don't have Chipotle here. I assumed it would be like Taco Bell or something. The beans I make probably have more sodium than that in them.

I hate to hijack, but I will (). I rinse then soak my beans overnight. You can either do them in the crockpot or stovetop, either way the recipe is basically the same. 1 bag of beans, a can of rotel, a can of diced green chiles, ~2 tbsp (total guess I just shake it in there) cumin, ~1 tbsp chili powder, some oregano, a diced onion, several whole cloves of garlic (more for crock pot, less for stove top), 1-2 stalks celery, sometimes I throw in some diced carrots and/or a package of frozen spinach. DH likes to put sliced sausage or diced ham but I like it meatless. You can use broth or water. If you use water you'll want to add a bit of salt. Then just simmer until the beans are done. I put it on low and leave it for 8ish hours in the crockpot. Let it simmer 2-3 hours on the stove- cover it and stir regularly.

ETA: you can season it however you want, I made some big alterations when I was on the ED and used no garlic, no chili powder, just herbs and cumin and it was still good. I sort of like mine to taste like tacos though. We serve on brown rice with taco toppings.
    --Anonymous

I'm so making this tonight
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!