Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-made bottles

Default Re: Pre-made bottles

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    The bottle warmer should be ok. We used a crock pot at my old daycare to warm several bottles at once, but the other infant room used a bottle warmer. Tell them to just test the temp before-hand.

We had a snacker of a BF baby. His mom would send in 6 bottles a day. 3-3oz bottles and 3-1oz bottles for top-offs.

Good luck
    That's so much bottle washing! Is there a feeling sorry for myself smilie? My SIL just kept the bottles at her house and washed them with hers. Sigh. I need to get one of those racks for drying. BOO!

I'm gonna tell them about the crock pot idea. That's really smart.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Have your DH do bottle washing ....

:evilsmiley
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    HUh. I'll look into that for sure if he refuses the bottles. Thanks!
    The Avent bottles have this.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I provide 3 2 oz. bottles and 1 storage bottle with 6 oz. That way it is unlikely a large amount of BM gets wasted. Anythink leftover in the stroage bottle gets used the following day. Any milk on Friday goes into the freezer in 2 or 4 oz. portions (I scald first due to lipase--might want to look at that thread if you think you might have this issue). I use all frozen milk on Mondays. We've been doing this now for 5 months and I haven't had to use any formula. My DCP breastfed all of her children and truly "gets" it. I also gave my DCP a handout I found on kellymom about how to bottlefeed the breastfed baby. That helped with paced feedings and understanding that babies really only need 1-1.5 oz. per hour away from Mommy. Now LO has had growth spurts where she's exceded that amount, but it's not the everyday norm. The freezer stash has been great for those times.

Good Luck with DC! It's really hard at first, but then pumping at work becomes routine and a way for you to connect with your LO.

Colleen, I'd also bring some sort of handout and make sure you tell his primary caregivers all the correct breastmilk handling procedures. Don't assume they know. Tell them how important it is that your BM not get wasted.

Also, check into the lastest BM storage guidelines. I'm gonna try and dig them up. My local LLL leader told me they changed and that you can actually put unused BM back in the fridge and re-heat up to 2x before having to discard. I'm gonna find that link. That's what we did at our daycare so that we wouldn't waste the liquid gold.

ETA: This may help...
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; February 11th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Colleen, I'd also bring some sort of handout and make sure you tell his primary caregivers all the correct breastmilk handling procedures. Don't assume they know. Tell them how important it is that your BM not get wasted.
    Good point.

Also, check into the lastest BM storage guidelines. I'm gonna try and dig them up. My local LLL leader told me they changed and that you can actually put unused BM back in the fridge and re-heat up to 2x before having to discard. I'm gonna find that link. That's what we did at our daycare so that we wouldn't waste the liquid gold.

Oh this would be awesome. Then I would have to bring a bajillion bottles everyday.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I didn't read all the responses, sorry if this is a repeat. Both my kids go to a daycare center, Mason is currently in the infant room. I send 6 bottles with 2 ounces each, and he gets fed every 1.5-2 hours. Also, I go up to daycare at lunchtime and nurse him everyday, so that is really nice because it takes the pressure off me to pump quite as much milk. In the event that I can't make it to daycare to nurse at lunch, I have sent enough milk for the day, hence the 2 extra bottles. On a typical day, Mason will only use 4 of the 6 bottles I send, and the 2 that aren't used come back home with us and become bottles #1 and #2 to be used first the next day. Yes, I do number the bottles 1 through 6 and the center uses them in the order I direct.

The caregivers offered to do his feedings this way because it mimics how I would feed him if we were home (i.e. every 1.5-2 hours) and it minimizes the amount of milk that could potentially be wasted if he doesn't drink it all. At the center where my kids go, once a bottle is warmed, it can only be served to the child within 1 hour. That is, if a bottle is warmed at 10am, the child has until 11am to finish it, or it's tossed out. What the center does is offer the child a bottle, and if they don't finish it, they will make sure to offer it again before the 1 hour is up. And most of the time the bottles get finished. Mason has been going to daycare since 4 Jan, and I think maybe 1 ounce has gotten thrown out in this whole time.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html There is also no research about whether freshly expressed milk left unfinished at room temperature should be discarded, or can be saved for a short time (perhaps up to one hour as reported by some mothers and caregivers) to finish the feeding if the baby wakens from having fallen asleep or still appears hungry
    My DCP has done this several times with no apparent ill effects on LO.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I would tell them to just use a bowl of warm water, not to use the bottle warmer. I'm pretty sure the DC isn't going to be excited about a snacking baby and chances are they will throw out what he doesn't finish in one sitting. That's what my DC did. So if I were you, if they insist on pre-made bottles then don't make it so easy on them. Make 2 ounce bottles if that's what you believe he will eat in one sitting. Then they can gauge if they need to give him a second bottle after he's done with the first 2 ounces. That way they aren't wasting your precious milk. Someone who has never pumped thinks that we have an unlimited supply - as if because we don't pay for it there's no harm in wasting it. I would cry when my husband would open a 6 ounce bag of milk to "top" my daughter off, usually throwing away most of it.
    That's how Nora's DC was too. If Nora didn't eat it right away they had to toss it. I just gave them several very small bottles.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous