Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-made bottles

Default Pre-made bottles

Silas starts DC on tuesday and the center requires all baby bottles to be pre-made. So this is new for me since SIL pulled one frozen bag at a time and only heated up what she needed. The DC uses a bottle warmer.
    Silas is a snacky eater. He's too busy hanging out and playing to really sit down and eat a full feeding from a bottle at one time. He pretty much scoffs at bottles anyway so this all may be moot but I'm gonna try and send bottles b/c it's easier than filling and sealing 3 different sippy cups

1. If they warm up a 4 oz bottle with a bottle warmer and he only drinks 2 oz, how long is the remaining milk good? Do they put it back in the fridge or leave it at room temp?

2. Is it ok to use a bottle warmer for BM? ( I've only ever run the bag under warm water )
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Pre-made bottles

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Previously frozen milk that has been thawed can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. While there is limited evidence to date that milk thawed for a few hours may be refrozen, this results in further breakdown of milk components and loss of antimicrobial activity. At this time, the accepted practice is not to refreeze thawed milk. While some mothers and caregivers reheat expressed milk that was leftover and refrigerated after a previous feeding, there is no research on the safety of this practice. There is also no research about whether freshly expressed milk left unfinished at room temperature should be discarded, or can be saved for a short time (perhaps up to one hour as reported by some mothers and caregivers) to finish the feeding if the baby wakens from having fallen asleep or still appears hungry

the bottle warmered lol... milk might be way to hot to his taste..
    I would tell them that he is use to milk that has been warmed the way you do it and see what they say.
    Give him some time to get used to dc...

I would tell them to just use a bowl of warm water, not to use the bottle warmer. I'm pretty sure the DC isn't going to be excited about a snacking baby and chances are they will throw out what he doesn't finish in one sitting. That's what my DC did. So if I were you, if they insist on pre-made bottles then don't make it so easy on them. Make 2 ounce bottles if that's what you believe he will eat in one sitting. Then they can gauge if they need to give him a second bottle after he's done with the first 2 ounces. That way they aren't wasting your precious milk. Someone who has never pumped thinks that we have an unlimited supply - as if because we don't pay for it there's no harm in wasting it. I would cry when my husband would open a 6 ounce bag of milk to "top" my daughter off, usually throwing away most of it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

bottle warmer may be okay - just need to make sure its not too warm

my DCP uses a crock pot with warm water (warms up several bottles at the same time)

to start I'd make bottles with 2 oz each and send in extra in a storage bottle or frozen for the freezer

most DCP seem to have a rule where anything left in bottles / storage containers gets sent home at the end of the day

so we do 3 bottles + extra in storage container to get used last

if there is any extra in the storage container that becomes bottle #1 the next day

give it a couple weeks and see what happens and if you need to start doing more in bottles

good luck!

P.S. Soon after he turned one my DS1 really cut back on EBM at day care but still nursed lots when we were together. I eventually stopped sending in EBM because he wasn't drinking it and it seemed futile to keep pumping when it was all getting wasted.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Don't know what kind of bottles you have, but I know some have 'transition' sippy tipe nipples that fit the regular bottle. Might be worth trying if you think he would be happier about a sippy.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

*sigh of relief* thanks ladies. I really appreciate your experience with this! It helps to hear from mamas who have used centers. I'm pretty stressed about it, so it's helpful to know that like minded mamas have BTDT.

I think the 2 oz bottles are the way to go even though that would mean a TON of bottle washing. My OS just finally regulated (at 8 months!) and now every drop is needed. I like the extra storage container idea too. I'm heading over with him tomorrow for a "play date" practice run and I will talk to the director again (she told me that she BF'd her babies for 9 mos). I'm hoping she allows some flexability and maybe a frozen back up bag. There is only one other BF baby and the center is very new. I'm hoping the pre-filled bottles rule is so they aren't saddled with measuring formula and providing nursery water, mixing and then warming for hungry babies.

Kim, I totally hear you on the tears over wasted milk! Poor DH suffered my wrath when he spilled a bag of milk back when we were doing bottles EBM when Silas was new and hadn't latched yet. I almost completely lost my marbles I think you're right that people often think we are endless faucets of milk. Milk at the ready whenever!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Don't know what kind of bottles you have, but I know some have 'transition' sippy tipe nipples that fit the regular bottle. Might be worth trying if you think he would be happier about a sippy.
    HUh. I'll look into that for sure if he refuses the bottles. Thanks!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

they *should* allow some frozen EBM to keep for emergencies
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

The bottle warmer should be ok. We used a crock pot at my old daycare to warm several bottles at once, but the other infant room used a bottle warmer. Tell them to just test the temp before-hand.

We had a snacker of a BF baby. His mom would send in 6 bottles a day. 3-3oz bottles and 3-1oz bottles for top-offs.

Good luck
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!