Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sterilizing parts

Default sterilizing parts

I've been pumping 3x a day, five days a week for 5 weeks now. I put all the pump parts except the tubing through the dishwasher nightly. Is it time to sterilize the tubing or other parts? How do you do this? How often? I cannot find anything on this or Medela's site. Thanks!

Default Re: sterilizing parts

I wouldn't bother. The dishwasher should be fine.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Medela makes microwave bags which sterilizes the parts including the tubing. What I did was to wash all parts in warm soapy water every night and sterilize 1x per week. Keep in mind that with all the dishwasher action you need to check and replace the membranes and possibly the valves more often.

I sterilize the tubing every other month in the Medela steam clean bags. Make sure the water covers the tubing and don't be shocked that when they first come out, they look discolored or white. It goes away once you dry them out. First swing them around like a laso to get the excess water out. Then hang them so you use gravity for any remaining water and just wait for air drying. I've never put them in the dishwasher and I don't think I will...

I only sterilized once in the whole year + I pumped - that was when I took all the stuff out of the package I figured my DD was healthy, no comprimised immune system, etc, so I never bothered
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I rarely sterilize my tubing. I did once after it fell out of my pump bag and ended up in the driveway. I just poured a little bit of rubbing alcohol through the tubes and used the lasso technique as described by PP. Works great!

Oh, I wasn't clear, I don't put the membranes in the dishwasher. I just rinse them with hot water and air dry. I will pick up those sterilizing bags. I do, however, put the valves in the dishwasher. How will I know if they need replaced? Will the suction go down, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*will.smom View Post
    OHow will I know if they need replaced? Will the suction go down, or what?
    If you notice your supply seems to have dropped, that's one thing to replace and see if it fixes your problem.

Avent makes a steam sterilizer basket that you can use forever. The Medela bags have to be thrown out after 20 uses. But if you only use it once a week, that's forever too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months