Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SoftFit Breast Shields?

Default SoftFit Breast Shields?

I've been pumping using a Medela`Single Delux pump- their bottom-of the line model. I only pump at most once a day, so the single works fine for me and I have a strong let-down so it is reasonably efficient. BUT it is rather uncomfortable, sometimes painful. There is 3-4 mm or so on either side of the nipple when I first fit it on, my nipples swell to fill almost the whole width of the tube during the pumping session. The nipple/areola gets pulled an inch or so into the tube. I am not sure if this is the right size or not- it's the standard size that came with the pump. I have only ever used it up to the 3rd lowest suction setting. The suction doesn't bother me so much as the rubbing of the hard edges of the tube against the areola that is getting pulled in.

Anyway, I noticed the SoftFit breast shields on their higher single pump model at Target and I wondered if they would be more comfortable and not cut into me so much. Has anyone used these? What did you think? If they're not that great, what else can I do to make pumping more comfortable?
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Default Re: SoftFit Breast Shields?

Put some lanolin on your areola (that's where it's rubbing, right?) before you pump. Or maybe vaseline. I wouldn't try the larger one, just yet. Save your cash, and try to lube it. It's possible that's al that's wrong. What you describe. . . The image I get is exactly what it looks like when I use my Medela PISA. Someone on here before mentioned "the dime test" if your nipple is larger than a dime is around, use a larger size shield . . . I tried the soft fit shields one time, the rubbery feel bothers me more than the rubbing. BUT the rubbing stopped when I started to use the Gerber brand nipple balm on the areola when I pump. HTH
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

You are describing what my own nipples do when pumped, and I think that is fine. I used to have a Medela Pump In Style (borrowede), and I never turned it up much past 1/4-1/3 of the way up. Got GREAT results with it.

When I bought a Freestyle (needed to return the pump to my friend), I got it thinking those SoftFit shields would be better, b/c I would get uncomfortable esp if I tried to turn the suction up. Within days I had a large sore on my L breast that I am STILL trying to deal with (my son is almost 6 mos and has two bottom teeth). When the pump was in operation, my nipple wouldn't "stay in" the flange like it did w/ the regular shield, it would come all the way back out. I had one regular shield in the old pump that detached, so I got that back out and the problem is better.

So my point is that I personally don't like the SoftFit shields. I'm sure there are others that may, but I'm still looking for the PersonalFit in the regular size (all the ones in the store are either bigger or smaller) and may end up just ordering them online.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post

So my point is that I personally don't like the SoftFit shields. I'm sure there are others that may, but I'm still looking for the PersonalFit in the regular size (all the ones in the store are either bigger or smaller) and may end up just ordering them online.
    I actually ordered some stuff from Medela's website, because the order was so small, they didn't charge me for shipping! They might have that in your area. . .?

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wombatred26 View Post
    Put some lanolin on your areola (that's where it's rubbing, right?) before you pump. Or maybe vaseline.
    I did give this a try when I saw it somewhere else, but it would slide a LOT, pulling the nipple almost all the way into the tube even on the low setting and that hurt, and didn't seem to work as efficiently.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:

Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Wow, I'm sorry! I sure wish I knew of something else to help. . . If I run across something else, I'll def stop back in and share!

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Thanks!
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:

We , , and !

I tried them thinking it would be more comfortable. Hated them! Left a red ring on my breasts and hurt. Wish I hadn't wasted the money.

Looking online, it looks like there are mixed reviews...some people love 'em, others hate 'em. A few did have the tip that putting on some lanolin just before was the trick that made it comfortable.

I think I am still going to get the Swing pump, which comes with the SoftFit, and reviews were consistently showing is better than the Single Delux. If I don't like the shield, I can use the hard shield from the Delux that I have and nothing lost!
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:

We , , and !