Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know what size flanges you need?

Default How do you know what size flanges you need?

I have been back to work for almost two weeks now and am pumping away every chance I get. And I must say, I love, love love pumping in the car on the way to and from work. It is so relaxing.

I noticed on my pump that the cones on the flanges cover almost all of the areola, so that only a thin line of areola is outside the tube-like part that the nipple gets sucked into. Do I need a smaller size? Most of the areola gets sucked into the tube along with the nipple. I have an Ameda Purely Yours pump, and I just bought another pump (Lansinoh... just like the PY) so I can keep a pump in the car. And I have small breasts, maybe a B cup?

I get about 2.5 to 3 oz per breast with the setup that I have, when pumping without having nursed.

Default Re: How do you know what size flanges you need?

Is it uncomfortable at all? The BF info/store/LC center at my hospital had a chart for you to measure.

Default Re: How do you know what size flanges you need?

I asked the same question after getting conflicting information about flange sizes on another website. Here is what I was told. 1) If alot of your areola is being pulled into the flange then you need a smaller size and 2)Do the dime test-if your nipple diameter is smaller than a dime then you need a smaller sized flange and if it is larger than a dime you need a larger sized flange. I think most pump kits come with the average size and you need to specially purchase either a smaller or larger flange. I thought I needed a samller size because some of my areola was being pulled into the flange but when I did the dime test my nipple was about the same size as the dime so I just stuck with the standard size. I get about 5oz of BM when I pump about every 3 hours(total between both breasts), but that can really vary from person to person because some people just don't get as much milk when they pump!! You could always try out the smaller flanges and see if you get a more comfortable fit/more bm. Good luck and I am glad that the car pumping is working well for you!
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom