Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work at 8 wks/night shifts

Unhappy going back to work at 8 wks/night shifts

I may be going back to work at 8 weeks as a nurse working from 7P-7A. I don't know how this will work because I am currently co-sleeping with my DD of 6 wks. Who will she sleep with? When will I nurse her? My DH plans to be with her during the days and is going to cut back to PT working the help with baby so we will not have to do daycare. Also, my SIL may help with DD during the day. But I am unsure when I will bf.

Default Re: going back to work at 8 wks/night shifts

congratulations on your dd, and welcome to the forum!

i know it's hard going back to work...believe me, i didn't want to go back when my dd was 10 weeks old (she's now 4 month old).

your dh can sleep with your dd if he's comfortable doing so...if not, maybe dd can sleep in a bassinet in your room so that dh can easily get up to feed her during the night. also, have you started pumping? if not, you may want to do so to have a stash of EBM ready for dh to use while you are gone. are you going to be able to pump while you are at work? you should pump at least every 2-3 hours while you are at work (e.g., pump for a missed feeding).

...and you'll breastfeed your dd when you are at home with her during the day. i know you'll need your rest, too...but you should be able to nurse dd a couple times during the day and then your SIL can feed her EBM also while she's there helping you. you'll nurse dd right before you leave for work...and as soon as you come home...

keep your head high...you'll get through this! good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

If you've mastered nursing laying down, you can feed her then Someone can bring her to you. I'm sure you'll have a hour or so at either end of your shift, for you to play with, feed, and generally enjoy your baby. Maybe more than an hour, depending on your family's personal scheduling.

DD can sleep at night with DH, or in a crib or bassinet in their room.

This will take creativity and flexibility on everyone's part, but you'll find a way to make it work!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thanks for the ideas!! I think I may just have someone bring her to me while I sleep, and nurse lying down. I want to attend a nearby LLL meeting because I feel I will need the support during this new transition.

LLL meetings are a wonderful way to get support and information. The mothers there will empathize and sympathize with you, when others in our society may be a little slower with this stuff. Enjoy your meetings!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I too am a nurse who worked night shift with my last child 7p-7a. Since night feedings were less than during the day, I found I could pump at about 10or 11 pm and again around 5 am then nurse when i got home around 730 or 8am. I never had supply issues doing this and while I slept the babysitter would bring her in to nurse throughout the day. Worked well for me. Your husband will probably have a few hard nights though b/c your baby may take a few nights to adjust. We invested in a good swing to help him. hope this helps.