Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Default What am I doing wrong?

I just gave LO sweet potatoe (day 2) and she had a couple bites and then threw it up. I realized today the sweet potatoe still has little chunks in it, but I tried to just give her the parts without any chunks (most of it is fine). Did she just find a chunk and didn't like it going down? Even if she did get a small chunk, she couldn't really choke on that, could she? I'm paranoid about her choking--especially when I'm the only one at home with her. But these are super tiny chunks left in it. Yesterday was my first day experimenting with how to get this pureed. I cooked it, and then tried blending it (which didn't work). I found I could get it mashed much easier with my fork. But then I got out the mixer and beat it for awhile (like when I make mashed potatoes). And added in some of the cooking water. It seemed pretty smooth to me. So did she just not like it? Or was choking on it b/c it's not pureed enough?

So far bananas are the only thing we've had success with. We tried avocados and she was up ALL night that night. And then had quite a few messy diapers the next day. I'm assuming as a reaction to the avocado? I really don't know, but that was the only new thing, so we stopped the avocados and now it's been about 5 days, so I started sweet potatoes. She loves when she sees the spoon coming and knows she gets food, but I want it to be a positive experience always, not have her gagging on the food!

Sorry for the long explanation. I want to do everything perfect, but really I just feel like I don't really know what I'm doing!

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

How old is your LO?

Is she choking (obstructed airway - can't breathe) or gagging (may cough or even throw up)?

Gagging is part of LO learning how to manage food in their mouth. Alarming but not a big deal. My DS1 gagged and threw up the first time we tried solids. We stopped and tried again in a week.

Lots of gagging may mean that your LO is NOT ready for solids yet and I'd back off and try solids again later.

Also - if your LO self-feeds then its less likely that she'll gag. One challenge with spoon feeding is that you can put the food too far into the LO mouth and right into the gag reflex zone.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class! You can usually find them at community centers, YMCA, etc.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh - diapers.

When starting solids it is NORMAL to see large chunks of undigested food in their poop.
    Lynn

You're not doing anything wrong mama My DD will gag if she gets a tiny little chunk of food. She'll leave it on her tongue and gag, so I'll take it out. She never took a paci because that too would make her gag. Talk about a sensitive gag reflex
    Have you tried mashing them with a potato masher and/or maybe using a little more liquid, water or even breast milk to make the consistency smoother?
    And yes about the avocado allergic reaction. Give it a little more time before trying it again.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

OK. Well, she wasn't choking. She was just gagging and then threw it up. This just worries me that she might choke sometime--but everything worries me with her!

Maybe I just need to puree it better. Too bad I have a bunch in the freezer. Maybe I'll save it and give it to her in a month and maybe by then she'll be more ready for it.

Now I just need to decide what would to give her next. She loves the bananas, so maybe I'll try applesauce? Store-bought would be completely pureed with no chunks, right? I haven't bought applesauce in years! But I want to try something with no chunks so she has a good experience next time. Or I guess I could just buy any baby food in jars and give her that until she can handle more texture. I just liked giving her fresh food.

How old is she?

If she's gagging a lot she may not be quite ready for solids yet.
    Lynn