Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Default Question

I have been pumping for a week now and have been getting 1/2 oz per session. I started to bf on Monday with a shield (advised from LC). Last night she woke up every 4 hours to feed when it was 2 hours prior to pumping/BF. I am wondering if she is eating too much which makes her sleep more. I have been giving her 3 oz formula plus bf. Should I reduce the amount of formula to 2 1/2 oz since now I am bf as well? I am wanting to wean her off the formula but thought maybe she would let me know when she was full but she just keeps eating.

Default Re: Question

How old is your little one? Also how many wet diapers is she having? It is possible that she may be taking more formula than she needs because babies will almost always take a bottle after nursing. After nursing with the nipple shield do you see milk in the shield? Are your breasts less full after a feeding?
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

with the PP. As long as wet diapers are okay, I'd probably start reducing the formula supplement a bit at a time.

Weaning from Formula Supplements
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter will be 1 month old on Friday. She has been getting approximately 6-8 wet diapers per day. I do see milk in the shield when she comes off but than she will latch back on and when she is done I don't usually see any more milk. I do offer both sides. I just pumped which had been a lot longer than normal and was able to get 1 1/2 oz.

That's great that you are able to get 1 1/2 ounces from pumping. The baby is even more efficient at getting the milk out than a pump so that's a good sign. Like the previous poster suggested, it's important to offer the breast whenever you can because the stimulation will tell your body to produce more milk.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

Yesterday I was able to get a total of 6 oz, which has been an increase from 3/4 when I started. I know have been bf with the shield and today was able to get her to latch on without the shield one time (figure if she did it once, she can do it again). My milk supply is down today, not sure why. But I have been attempting to bf, then supplement with formula and then pump. A lot of the times she falls asleep when bf and then will wake up 20 min later and I will give her 3 oz of formula. Do you think I should try bf again when she wakes up or keep with what I am doing or should I try backing off on the formula?

Yesterday I was able to get a total of 6 oz, which has been an increase from 3/4 when I started. I know have been bf with the shield and today was able to get her to latch on without the shield one time (figure if she did it once, she can do it again).
    Yay! What terrific progress!

My milk supply is down today, not sure why. But I have been attempting to bf, then supplement with formula and then pump.
    Maybe what's happening is that your baby is taking more milk from the breast now, leaving you with less to pump out?

A lot of the times she falls asleep when bf and then will wake up 20 min later and I will give her 3 oz of formula. Do you think I should try bf again when she wakes up or keep with what I am doing or should I try backing off on the formula?
    How much formula are you using in a day? If it's 3 oz every time you feed your baby, I would back off somewhat, but not entirely. I think what I'd do when the baby wakes 20 minutes after feeding is try to get her to nurse again, then supplement with 2 oz (if she'll take it), and watch diaper output very carefully. If diaper output stays adequate, I'd keep reducing the amount of formula supplement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been giving her 3 oz of either formula or breast milk (what I have pumped) after she bf. I will try reducing it to 2 oz. I know she will take more because she never seems to refuse the milk. Someone suggested getting a scale but not sure where to get one and I am leaving on a trip on Wednesday. I was really hoping that I wouldn't need any formula by then but I know that probably won't be possible.

I wonder if I should still be pumping, it seems I am not getting much out since I have been bf and supplementing with 2 oz. of formula. I leave on a trip tomorrow and feel really uncomfortable pumping on the plane. I do plan on pumping on my layover if enough time allows.