Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: All of the sudden nursing only from one side at a time

Default All of the sudden nursing only from one side at a time

Hi, this week my three month old has started only nursing from one side at each feeding and is full and rejects the other side. She used to nurse from both each feeding. She nurses about every 3 hours, so this means that one side will go 6 hours before she nurses from it again. Is she getting enough this way? She has plenty of wet and dirty diapers, is doing great (weighs 14 lbs), so I guess it's fine?? It just seems that she wouldn't be getting enough and I don't want my milk supply to diminish since she's nursing this way now. BTW, I am new to breastfeeding so this may be a no brainer, I don't know! All I know is how she's BEEN nursing up until recently.

Thanks for all the help!
    Tracy (in Ohio)

Default Re: All of the sudden nursing only from one side at a time

I forgot to mention that when she nurses just from the one side, she usually nurses anywhere from 5-10 (closer to 10) minutes, and this is every 3 hours.
    Tracy

Default Re: All of the sudden nursing only from one side at a time

Diaper output and growth are the only reliable signs of whether baby is getting enough milk. Don't worry if her feedings are suddenly shorter, or if she doesn't want both breasts at each feeding. Just keep nursing her on cue, watch the diapers, and you'll do fine.

Babies do suddenly change their patterns, and it can throw us moms for a bit of a loop when they do. I'm glad you came here to ask this very reasonable question -- and don't hesitate to post again when more questions come up. You're doing great!

--Rebecca