Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 month old still nurse??

Default 11 month old still nurse??

MY DS is 11 months old and I plan on nursing him until he tells me when he is ready to be weaned. My question is: What juices do I start giving him so that he can start drinking something else besides BM and should he still be waking up every 2 hours throughout the night?

Default Re: 11 month old still nurse??

That's great you plan to let your lo decide when it is time to stop nursing. It would probably be better if you gave your lo water to drink before he gets used to having juice. My lo is 9 months old and although I don't give him that much water he loves it and likes drinking from my cup when I have a glass.

Agree with PP. In general, juice is mostly sugar and contains alot of "empty" calories. You would do much better to introduce water -- and let your darling LO get his fruit intake from actual fruit (so he gets the fiber, too), instead of juice!
    -linda

As the others said, don't give juice; it's totally unnessacary and should only be an occasional treat. Water is what older babies/children/adults really need to be drinking, not juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshi
    should he still be waking up every 2 hours throughout the night?
    My LO, at that age, was still waking every couple of hours. It varies from child to child. Mine did begin spacing it out a bit, but I do recall somewhere around 14-15 months DS nursing every HOUR again! That was shortlived though.

And I agree with the PP on juice. Don't bother with it. My ped was sooo pleased the other day when she asked how much juice DS gets and I told her none. She said flat out that more kids need to not have juice.

If you do give juice, dilute it down, particularly at first, as sometimes it can give them diarrhea and a resultant diaper rash.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with everyone here - even the ped will tell you to steer clear of juices - too many empty calories. If you want LO to get fruit - give him/her a piece of fruit - much beter for them!

My 11 month old is still nursing - with no end in sight - and she wakes every 2 hours like clock work - oh well - it does pass

I wanted to say thank you for everyone who wrote a reply....it really helps out unexperienced Moms =D I do give him sips of water after I feed him solids and whenever I drink some myself. I've been reading on the posts that parents will give their babies avacado or bannanas....since they are both very soft..aren't you scared that your baby will bite off a huge chunk and may end up choking on it? Is it true that you may start giving your baby whole milk once he/she turns 1 year? Sorry for all the newbie questions....

I gave small chunks of avocado as finger foods when my son was showing that he was ready. The chances of choking go down, IMHO, once the baby shows HE'S ready, versus MOM deciding when he's ready. We never had a choke. However, the baby I babysit is mostly spoonfed at 12 months, and he will choke, and I think that's because he hasn't learned to chew and manage food properly yet.

I did start giving small amounts of whole cow's milk after 12 months. I tried it just once a day for several days to watch for any signs of allergies, just as I would with any other new food. He loved it. I was going to switch him to 1% milk at 2 years, but his ped suggested keeping him on whole milk for another year because he's so darn thin and could use the extra fat.

Now, if you think giving solids will slow down nursing, that may not be true for your child. It sure was not for mine! He nursed just as much. But I have heard it will slow down others.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you're still planning on nursing after 12 mo there is no reason to give cow's milk. So long as the child is nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours, he's getting all the fat, protien, and calcuim he needs and even cheese and yogurt are totally unnessacary.

When my milk supply dropped dramatically due to prenancy, I started making sure ds got yogurt and cheese each day. He was 17 mo before he started asking for cow's milk on a regular basis, and he still only drinks a couple of oz in a given day. For some reason he's decided he likes cow's milk, and that's fine but for me I wanted it to be his choice, not something I pressured him into.

As for choking on soft fruits like banana and avacado, that's never been a problem for ds. He could always easily gum them and had absolutely no problems swallowing them. At 17.5 mo he still only has 8 teeth all in the front and no molars, but he does great with pretty much everything. He's only choked on food maybe 3 times in his entire life, and each time it was somethig pretty hard (ie raw apple).

i'm so glad to hear juice is so desirable. my dd must know what is good for her even at the tender age of 14 months--she hates juice. just spits it out with such a face