Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: meat

Default meat

i know i could probably find a thread on this, but it's late, and DS just woke up again.

when is it ok to start giving him meat, and what meat is the best to start with?
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Default Re: meat

I would delay giving meat as long as possible. It is very acidic. If you really, really want to give it though, I would counter its effects with some alkaline foods (maybe hummus? yum.) to keep baby's pH balanced.
    Nursed for 18 months

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

dr sears says 9-12 months for meat, it has lots of iron that they need at that age.

when you start solids.
    meat has a good amount of bioavailable iron that is artificialy added in baby cereals.

my Family doctor says I should start before 7 months, she says that,s the lates recommendation.
    i don,t really follow what she says
    my son is 6 and a half months old, I started some solids with not much success. I might try meat nex week.

Meats are an excellent first food. It is being recommended now as a beginning food. If you are pureeing, your options are pretty open. If you are doing baby led weaning (or solids, whatever ya wanna call it) you will want to offer larger pieces so baby can suck the goodness out of it. We did turkey cross grain so she could gum and swallow some. Ground beef works well, in a meatball form they can pick it up and gnaw off bits (very popular for my little one).
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

I think chicken and turkey are recommended first (less allergenic).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

We offered meat right from the beginning (@six months; it was roast lamb and she loved it). At this age, what babies need the most is fat and calories, and meat is a good source of this. Of course it's unlikely your LO will be scarfing down huge quantities . But if he likes meat as much as my DD does, and it makes mealtime more fun and enjoyable for the baby, why not?