Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Breast Just Popped!

Default My Breast Just Popped!

Ever since my milk came in after DD was born, I've had a smallish lump in the outside half of my right breast, about the size of a small grape. It didn't really hurt, but sometimes when she's nursing I got a vague refered pain under my collar bone or my shoulder blade. Today when I was getting in the shower I noticed my breast was red over the area that had the lump. It did seem to change size a bit before and after some feedings. I don't have a fever or significant pain. As I was typing a post about this lump I was massaging and pressing it, and it popped! I immediately hand expressed some milk and everything seems fine, but what the heck? It aches a little, but the lump is totally gone. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've had this lump almost 6 months. I was thinking it could be a partially blocked duct. Now I'm wondering if it was some sort of cyst. I'm truly puzzled!
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Default Re: My Breast Just Popped!

seems like a plugged duct. What I've had really bad ones the initial plug was gummy, but whatever it was I'm happy it's gone!

That's what I was thinking, but 6 months plugged with little pain and no mastitis? I can't find any accounts of that anywhere! Unless I was just really super lucky. And I had tried massage before with no luck but tonight I took a really scalding shower and massaged a lot under the water and then was massaging/squeasing while laying down.

Anyway, totally weird. Glad I had intended to post about the 6 month lump, maybe I scared it away. LOL
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Wow that's weird! Sounds like a pimple in your breast! Glad it went away though
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Well now the entire outside side of my right breast is bruised and I'm "uncomfortable." I can touch it and let DD nurse, but it is sore. I took some ibuprophen, but this whole thing is just weird. And like I said, I never saw anything "odd" come out when I hand expressed. I wonder if I should pump and see if that draws anything out that I can see. I'm not really worried, just totally baffled by this. And sore. Definitely sore.
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I once had a cyst that did sommething similar, it was in a tender "exclusively female" area, but, it popped and nothing showed up, but it was bruised and sore and it just went away. I hope it feels better soon. I'd go see a Dr. if it doesn't look or feel better within like two or three days . . . My idiot of a former Dr told me there was nothing there, I went back the day after it "popped" and he said, "oh, this was a cyst, did you drain it?" I just laughed. The idiot! Feel better, K!!
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

any breast or nipple pain is a good excuse to slow down and just rest!

Yeah, I'm starting to think this was a cyst. Maybe caused by a milk duct issue, but I can't see how I could have had a plugged duct for six months. I'm just hoping that if it was a cyst, it doesn't reform, because they can, and that would be really annoying.

I did pump, nothing weird came out. Ugh. I just hope this doesn't impact my nursing of DD.
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    any breast or nipple pain is a good excuse to slow down and just rest!

Good idea!
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

it could have just maybe gotten plugged up in the last 2 or 3 days.

I sure hope your fealing beter in a day or two if not you might want to give the doctor a call.