Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hives from breastfeeding?

Default Hives from breastfeeding?

Hi all, I am 1 month into breastfeeding and suddenly last week I broke out in hives head-to-toe. I had never had them before, I didn't have any allergies prior to now.

I have been to the ER twice because it was that bad. I am taking benadryl, pepcid, and prednisone right now just to keep the outbreaks small/at bay. They seem to get worse when I am feeding my daughter.

Has anyone else dealt with recurring hives that seem to be because you are breastfeeding????

Default Re: Hives from breastfeeding?

It was suggested to me by an ER doc that it might be the hormones from being postpartum causing the hives. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and had any treatment successes.

mama!

I had the same experience, although not nearly as bad as you describe. It was mainly on my abdomen/lower back/torso and they would tend to appear and/or get worse during/right after nursing. They would go away, only to reappear the next time we nursed. It was really not fun and I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, too!

It was also suggested to me that it was related to hormonal fluctuations as well as the stress that comes with being a new mom in the early days. I have broken out in hives from stress in the past, so I guess it wasn't a huge shocker.

It only lasted a couple of weeks and as I recall stopped when my daughter was about 6 weeks. I didn't need medical treatment - calamine lotion and a baking soda bath seemed to do the trick.

I don't think I can offer any other advice except to say hang in there and hopefully this will resolve itself very soon!!

did you have any new meds during the birth????
    they could just be slow to leave your body?
    I've seen other moms talk about this before but it was ages ago and I forget what it was called...

Hope your fealing beter soon.

I bumped up another thread.

My letdown hives eventually settled down. Now I just have eczema. It does seem to be hormonal, a reaction to my own hormones.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Hi, my wife is breastfeeding and just experienced exactly what you all are talking about. Baby is 1 month old, and wife just started with hives last night. She took benadryl, then slept and awoke to pump but hives came back. Now they appear everytime she nurses! Anyone from the medical field confirm this is from the oxytocin hormones of let down?

Other theories: Mother's Milk tea, prenatal DHA?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jonahmaniac View Post
    Hi, my wife is breastfeeding and just experienced exactly what you all are talking about. Baby is 1 month old, and wife just started with hives last night. She took benadryl, then slept and awoke to pump but hives came back. Now they appear everytime she nurses! Anyone from the medical field confirm this is from the oxytocin hormones of let down?

I don't think we ever got confirmation of this one from anyone in the medical field. But in my non-medical opinion, it's kind of unlikely. Breastfeeding isn't the only time women experience oxytocin surges. They also happen during orgasm and childbirth contractions- and if a woman made it through life withoout being allergic to those things, I don't see why breastfeeding would be any different. However, stranger things have happened and I am sure there's a lot we don't know about the body chemistry of postpartum!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jonahmaniac View Post
    I would stop drinking the tea for a while and see what happens. Does your wife have allergies to anything environmental? With herbal teas, you run the risk of allergies.

I got hives in early pregnancy with both kids, never tracked down the trigger but I assumed the hormones were making me more susceptible to something in the environment.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous