Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hives from breastfeeding?

Default Re: Hives from breastfeeding?

My almost entirely latent and benign eczema went into total wildfire mode from about months 2-5.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I wouldn't call them hives, but I had a horrid post partum rash that lasted for months and months. I used the benadryl cream rather than the pill form. Dr. Suggested it. It has less of a chance of making baby drowsy and reducing supply since very little if any of the active ingredient enters the blood.

I never really got an answer for what it was other than "hormones." One doctor Suggested it was PUPPPs which is rare to come on after you have the baby. But the symptoms matched up perfectly. They put me on a high dose of prednisone, then weaned me down. It finally helped.

I would cut the tea out as well and see if that helps. Oatmeal is a great supply booster if she is worried.

Hope your wifey finds some relief! Perhaps her hormones will balance out in the next few weeks and the flare ups will subside!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I wonder if it could be something else environmental. I had been using Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter and really liked it. Then, I broke out with a horrible rash on my breasts. I started to cut out things that could have caused it, and I'm pretty sure it was the nipple cream.

I got hives 2 weeks into nursing right when nursing was ramping up and my letdown reflex was beginning to strengthen. They lasted 24 hours and went away.