Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush possible at 17mths?

Default Thrush possible at 17mths?

I had ductal thrush when my dd was 5 mths old. Neither of us had any visable signs, it was just internal burning and stabing pains in my breasts. It was quickly cleared up with 3 Diflucan pills. I have not had any problems until now. My dd is now almost 17mths and was recently on antibiotics for an ear infection (her first one). My nipples got a little sore and just the last two days, I have had a burning sensation in my breasts with just a little pain. No visable signs in either of us. It doesn't hurt to nurse her. Could it be thrush? It's been so long since the original episode, I forget exactly what it feels like. I bf only PT as I work FT. I guess I didn't think BFing older babies could result in thrush. Am I wrong?

Default Re: Thrush possible at 17mths?

Hi Cookie, It's so great you're still nursing while working! Not many people see how great it can be to feed baby even just once a day.

As far as thrush goes, my young toddler had thrush when I thought it may be bladder infection since I couldn't see why she would have it at such a young age but it is possible and was easily treated with an antibiotic cream... I think the cause was the bubble bath and the shampoo I used for her as I am sensitive too. I gather though you're worried your daughter has oral thrush?

Possibly not related but I breastfed my first for two years and on and off had sore nipples which I treated with lanolin, especially when she had a growth spurt. Sometimes I would also get that shooting pain, but very rarely, so just ignored it as a passing body thang that sometimes happens, which worked well for me. But if your pains persist and are continuous I guess you should see someone about it.

By the way, always get a second opinion on antibiotics for ear infections since they very rarely need that kind of treatment... my baby once was prescribed antibiotics for an ear infection which i decided then not to use and the next day at a new doctor it turned out there was no ear infection but rather she had baby measles!

Good Luck!

Babies of any age can get thrush just like women of any age can get vaginal yeast infections. It's caused by an overgrowth of yeast in the intestinal tract -- this is often triggered by antibiotic use (among other things) -- oral thrush is caused by the same things vaginal yeast infections are caused from.

While sore nipples obviously have other causes too though -- teething, improper latching/positioning, etc. it's a pretty good indication of thrush if you've got sore nipples and baby was on antibiotics. You may just want to treat yourselves with some acidophilus and perhaps an OTC antifungal cream (for your nipples).

I'm not sure if you're asking for thrush treatments or not. If you need that information, let us know. I think everyone has their own "magical" formula for treating it I know I do! LOL

HTH!

Is your baby teething? When my son was about 19 months, I started getting sore for no apparent reason, and then out popped a few new teeth. We also recently had a bout of thrush brought on by antibiotics when my son was 23 months. You might see if the next time your dd needs an antibiotic see if you can get a d-pack. It has a lower likelihood of causing yeast, and seemed to help us.

Shannon

You could always treat with acodopholis (SP ) proabotics from a health food store to see if that could help, can't hurt? Check under the lips, seems to be a good indicator?