Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help to switch from exclusive pumping to breast

Default need help to switch from exclusive pumping to breast

my baby is 14 weeks old now i have been EP since 11 weeks, because i had diffuculty letting my baby latch on and i had very sore nipples in the 1st 3 weeks so now i am epumping, i have tried yesterday to let mu baby nurse but it seems she really forgot and do not know how to nurse.
    is there anyway to resume nursing after this long period.

Default Re: need help to switch from exclusive pumping to breast

Do you have a lactation consultant near by you could work with? I'd recommend lots of skin to skin contact, try to get baby to latch on when very sleepy, maybe bathe together (warm water very relaxing), give Baby lots of opportunities...yeah it's going to be work but keep at it. Congrats on pumping that long. I am pumping too (and nursing but poor at milk removal) and I know it can sure be a pain (but worth it). Hang in there. You will get better advice than mine, too, I'm sure.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

How do you feel about co-sleeping? It saved our nursing relationship. Your little one will often nurse when half-asleep.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

When I was switching from epumping to nursing I used a nipple shield to get my daughter used to the feeling of the breast. It only took about 3 days of using the nipple shield before she was nursing and with no nipple shield