Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Power Pumping Question

Default Power Pumping Question

I have power pumped the last two days and I do see a little increase but I wonder if I do more than 2 sessions in a day if it will increase it even more or should I do 30 minutes pumping each session. I haven't attempted to bf yet since we are having problems with the latch and waiting to see the lactation consultant. Any thoughts as to how to increase it more or ideas with latching. I can get her to latch but I think it's a bad latch each time that I attempt to do this. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Power Pumping Question

The more often you power pump, the better results should be!

If your baby will latch, that's an incredibly positive step. Why do you think the latch is bad at every attempt? Is it painful, or does it just look wrong?

Some useful links:

Help - My Baby Won't Nurse!
    Establishing and maintaining milk supply when baby is not nursing

I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think the latch is bad because it's painful every time I have tried. Tomorrow I am going to start trying to get her to latch again to see if we can resolve the issue. Today I haven't been as good at pumping, probably 8 times instead of 10. I did do 1 power pump. I am getting 3 oz total and need to really increase my supply. I am wondering how long before I see results of increasing my supply? My daughter is 3 weeks as of friday and would like to exclusively bf and stop pumping.

I am power pumping 10 min on and 10 min off for 1 hour. I notice in the morning I get the most. I will keep working on the latch, most of the time I do it in the chair where I don't use any pillows. I will try doing it in the bed and use lots of pillows and see if that helps. Thanks for the help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktma View Post
    I think the latch is bad because it's painful every time I have tried. Tomorrow I am going to start trying to get her to latch again to see if we can resolve the issue.
    Good luck! I'm sorry nursing is painful, and I totally agree that a bad latch is one that feels bad. Some moms get psyched out and think that a latch is bad because it doesn't look textbook.

I am getting 3 oz total and need to really increase my supply.
    3 oz per pumping session is actually quite good, especially with a young baby like yours. She may be drinking more from a bottle, but at this point most babies are drinking only about 2-3 oz at the breast.

I am wondering how long before I see results of increasing my supply?
    It's hard to say. Every woman responds so differently to pumping and to pumping schedules that there's no one good answer to this question.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am only getting 3 oz total throughout the day. Hopefully I will see an increase especially now that I am starting to bf and pumping both. I am using a shield which helps out a lot (no pain)!