Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to buy breast pump

Default when to buy breast pump

My baby is due in 2 weeks and I am wondering when I should buy a breast pump. I will be a stay home mom for 6 months and then go back to work. I do plan on breast feeding for 1 year. So, do I need the breast pump right away in the first couple of weeks/month? Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: when to buy breast pump

You don't really NEED one right away, but it would be nice to have in case you did need it. Also after a month or two of BFing,you may want to start pumping to build up a freezer stash for when you return to work.

Here's my experience...I didn't buy one at first, then I needed one about a week after dd was born, I was too engorged for her to latch andstarting to get clogged ducts...I couldn't get the hang of manual expression so I had to send DH to the store to buy me a cheap manual pump. the thing got used a few times and then I bought the PISA for when I went back to work.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Personally, I think you are less likely to have the kind of problems that require a breastpump if you have one before baby is born (Murphy's law kind of thing)

Call your insurance co and see i they cover one under durable medical goods. If they do they should be able to tell you how to do it at least hassle to yourself. If not i would say go for the freestyle. There are some links on past threads about places that have them at reasonable prices.

HTH and have fun with that baby
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm having problems pumping, so I'm not really the best one to give advice on the subject, lol. I can tell you from experience (after buying a Medela pump in style and then not being able to pump with my first child) that once you open it, IT'S YOURS TO KEEP. You can buy one whenever you want, but you definitely shouldn't open it until your milk supply is established. I'm not sure of the return policy--they may not take it even if the box is still sealed. Just my $0.02, for what it's worth. I learned the hard way! I ended up selling my pump to a friend for $75 (I paid $350 for it) and she went out and bought new tubing and phlanges. At least I got *some* money back, but that was still a serious chunk of change I spent on the pump!

Buy it now. It's nice to have the pump immediately available in case you need it. I didn't think I was going to need a pump, since I was staying home with my baby. I took a loaner pump from a friend, and boy was I glad I did! I ran into problems and very quickly needed to pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I didn't think I would need a pump because I planned on being at home and never ever giving my lo a bottle, lol! Looking back the best advice that I could give anyone is that you should have a pump before you have a baby!! You may not need it but if you do you will be so so happy that it is there when you need it. If I had had a pump in the beginning I think it would have saved me alot of tears! (sidenote, now I EP, but that's another story Bottom line- prepare for the unexpected!! Good luck!!
    I'm Chris
    Proud mama to my two boys, Elijah and Archer and one baby girl Elsa.
    my 6 month old daughter and with number 4
    with my husband Tom

I would definitely buy it now. I planned not to need it until I was getting ready to go back to work, but due to some unanticipated medical issues after my son was born, I wasn't able to breastfeed him for several days. The pump was invaluable.