Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting to much milk

Default Getting to much milk

I am producing anywhere from 60-80 ounces a day. How can I reduce it somewhat so that I don't get plugged ducts or mastitis again. I am pumping at 3 AM 20 ounces 6 AM 15 ounces 9AM 15 ounces 1PM 10 ounces 5 PM 13 ounces and 9 PM 15 ounces. Thank you.

Default Re: Getting to much milk

I can see the potential for plugged ducts! You want to wean slowly off what your pumping. Is there a reason your pumping that often (like your away from your baby)?
    You could just pump a few less oz at one session for a couple of days and see how that goes. Or pump a little less time at a session or two. Give it some time to adjust and then cut down more. Keep cutting till you get to the point you want. The idea is to do it slowly and give your body time to adjust.

Fortunately I am able stay home with my toddler and 4 week old. I am on this schedule because I was pumping ever two hours when she ate, then every three hours because of the amount I am pumping then went to ever 4 hours where I am at now. I thought that would help reduce the amount but it hasn't yet. I was told to go for as long as your milk is coming plus 5 mintues. So that is what I have been doing. My baby isn't able to latch, she did fine in the hospital but we found out last week she had tongue tie which was contributing the latching problem, now she just doesn't know what to do at the breast. Although I would much rather BF her I understand that it might not happen so as long as she is getting breastmilk I am happy with that rather than formula. We are still trying for the latch but I need to realize it might not happen.

4 weeks old is very young... I bet you'll be able to coach her back to the breast over time.

Your baby isn't nursing any at the breast at this point?

Wow, that's a LOT of milk! I think the advice you got- to "go for as long as your milk is coming plus 5 mintues" is part of what is getting you into trouble. That extra five minutes is telling your body that every last drop of the milk it just made was required, and that it should be replaced with an equivalent amount, or maybe even more. I would definitely cut out that extra 5 minutes, and try to scale back each session by a just an oz or two at a time, as the PP suggested. Leaving milk in the breast will tell your body that it didn't need to make as much as it did, and that should eventually result in decreased production.

Here's a link on how to get your baby back to the breast: Help- My Baby Won't Nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's so easy for your supply to get out of control when you are pumping. When I was EPing my supply was like that too. I pumped 60-70 ounces a day. I ended up with clogged ducts a lot too. After 2-3 months I stopped getting them even though I didn't back off on the production. I was unnecessarily paranoid that my supply would die and I wanted to have plenty in the freezer. I ended up donating it all since that never happened. Like others have said if you want to back off on the production just be sure to do it really slowly or you could make the clogged duct problem worse.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Exactly that is what I don't want. I just got done with a series of antibiotics because I started getting the prelimary symtoms of mastitis, well I nipped that in the butt right away. I try and get her to latch every single time she needs to eat. But after three or four minutes of really trying and I might get her to latch but she doesn't want to suck all she does is cry cry and cry. To me it should be that tramatic for her and I would just rather her just get breastmilk and not make her upset. Kinda hoping it levels out soon, because after I am done pumping all fill up again within 20 minutes and I am just engorged again.

Sound like your LO is just like my guy at that age. Trying to nurse was so very emotionally stressful! Wishing you lots of luck with nursing, but also energy and determination if you ultimately end up EPing. It's tough, but possible!

to the suggestions about very gradually reducing the amount you empty out at each session. Clogged ducts are NOT fun!
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

At four weeks, I was having the same amount and I had to contend with blocked ducts and potential mastitis. Be careful with your pumping schedule. See a LC if you are having problems. I did and she really helped me out. At four weeks I was establishing my milk supply and I was pumping more than one Medela bottle could hold!!! My husband had to hurry over and quickly replace the full one with an empty one. It was a just a phase of a few weeks and it was definitley when my supply was establishing. Pump only two extra minutes beyond the dribble. But whatever you do, don't lessen your pumping schedule this early in the exclusive pumping experience. I notice you go a long stretch at night without pumping. Ask your LC about that. I never had long stretches without pumping that early in my DD's life. It really messed the signals I was giving to my production. Having equal time between pumps was most helpful to me. Best of luck and encouragement. It can be done...I'm one year plus now of exclusive pumping...Maria