Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: excessive pumping and oversupply

Default excessive pumping and oversupply

Hi. I found this site through a google search and I think it will be a lifesaver. I have a problem that isn't quite textbook so I can't find an exact solution through a forum search...

I have a 10 day old who I have been nursing on demand (I think that's what you'd call it) about every 3 hours. Well, I wanted to pump and store up some milk in the freezer for when I return to work or for when dad wants to feed her a bottle during the 2am feeding so I can sleep. I bought an electric pump and --having no idea what I was doing-- started pumping on the breast she wasn't nursing on. And I did it EVERY time she nursed. I would get 2-4 ounces each time. So about 8-10 times a day I have been pumping, plus nursing her! I now know that this was crazy and want to wean from pumping, but continue to exclusively nurse. My breasts are huge, lumpy, swollen, and terribly sore. They have been pouring like the Hoover dam as well. Please help me!!!

Default Re: excessive pumping and oversupply

Can you taper back on your pumping sessions?

Only pump the other side for comfort and then drop most of those pumping sessions?

Do it gradually and your supply should regulate to make less.

Don't cold turkey stop pumping or you'll run into problems with clogged ducts.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with the pp. Do it gradually! If your breasts respond like mine to an increase request by deploying the whole army it might take a little time, but eventually your supply will adjust to the decrease in demand.

If you need a little relief between sessions too, you can also hand express just enough for comfort.
    Last edited by @llli*llamas.mama; February 6th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Go slow! Try to drop one pumping session, wait a day or two, and then drop another. If you are unbearably uncomfortable, express just enough to make yourself comfortable, but try not to fully empty the breast.

Engorgement- definitely try the cabbage leaf trick mentioned in this link!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for all the replies!! My husband brought home cabbage late last night for me (that's something I never thought I'd be wearing!!) That does take out the sting a bit!

I will take it nice and slow and gradually. I have eliminated a couple of pumping sessions so far and have been doing block feeding...I don't feel engorged today like yesterday so maybe something's gonna give.