Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Milk Still Good?

Default Is Milk Still Good?

Hello,

I am back on this forum after some time away. I started today back to work and pumping for my second child and am trying to remember all the storage guidelines! The 3rd bottle that she took today was freshly pumped yesterday, never frozen. She drank only part of the bottle. I will not go back to work until Tuesday. I know that the milk is ok the next feeding....but by Tuesday will it be bad since she has already drunk from the bottle?

Also - my mother is watching my child while I work 3 days/week. She did not breastfeed her children and I am having a hard time getting across to her and my husband some of the important things to know about breastfeeding. For example, my mother does not understand why I asked her not to feed my daughter for the last 60-90 minutes before I get home so that I can nurse her as soon as I get home. I try explaining but she doesn't get it. I am having the same issues getting my husband to understand how to store the milk and why it is important, why defrosted milk is different than freshly pumped, etc. His response - "it's not that big of a deal." Any tips on how to get these points across in a nice way that they will understand?

Thanks!!

Courtney
    Mom to Luca - 4/16/07 and Elsa - 11/13/09

Default Re: Is Milk Still Good?

I assume your milk will still be good for 6 days in the fridge.

As for family understanding, they might not ever understand, but I think if you just share that getting your good milk to your baby is very important to you, it's a lot of work to pump but you want the best for your baby and that yes there are differences with milk if it's been frozen or not and that you don't want to pump at the end of the day rather have your baby hungry for you when you come home....

Can you try the angle of wanting an older child not to eat a full meal an hour before supper for the not giving baby bottle at end of the day?

I hope this was some help. I think it's much harder to explain to people who never breastfed but there is so much good info now about how good human milk is for human babies!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Just wanted to comment on getting other people to understand why rules about storing are so important.

First, I've admitted, that I'm a first time mom, and I can be anal about my breastmilk. I also make it easy for them, I label each bottle with a china marker in the fridge with the order I want them to use it in a day. Then I don't have to worry about them useing the fresh milk before thawed.

My husband has watched me struggle with the pump and know how precious each drop is. Your MIL will probably never understand, until she's either seen or done it herself.

I almost cried this morning when I found a bottle of EBM my husband had left out ALL NIGHT on the kitchen counter when he unpacked the diaper bag yesterday.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks all. Now that we are into a groove, things are going a lot better. She seems to take a bottle between 2:30 and 3 each day and I am home by 4:30 to nurse. They are getting into a routine and I think really trying to pay attention to the rules. I find that whenever I need my mom to really understand me I have to start with "The pediatrician says...." - so I used that angle.

To jeno - isn't it so sad to watch your white gold go down the drain???? Its gonna happen but is so sad when it does

Thanks all for the support....I know I can always find it here!

when your word doesn't work - printouts always help...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lucafaustinomommy View Post
    To jeno - isn't it so sad to watch your white gold go down the drain???? Its gonna happen but is so sad when it does
    I won't watch, and I won't throw it out myself. I laid down that law weeks ago (this was not the only time it's happened ).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    when your word doesn't work - printouts always help...
    Lots of resources for you here especially this one
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.