Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shall i cont to BF since supply down again?

Default Shall i cont to BF since supply down again?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Would like some advise and here is my story..

Have been bf my dd 6 mths now.
    Sadly to say that i notice my milk supply has drop tremendously around the 3rd mth. Sad
    Used to be able to pump 4oz on my left n 3oz on my right. Now merely 3 oz combined. Anyway, i stop expressing around the 7th wk coz doc says the baby needs to stimulate the breast in order to have more milk. But in my case, it seems to do the reverse.

On the 4th mth, i started on domperidone 1tablet(10mg) 3x a day. I can see there was an increased in my supply(dd wake up for feed every 2 1/2 -3hrs fpr nit feed) till 1mth ago, i had block ducts for 3 consecutive wks. Thats when my supply went down again (now feed every 1-1/2 hrs at nit), till now, i'm back to only being able to pump about 3oz. My dd is taking 5oz every 31/2 hrs. FYI, i bf direct most of the time. Cup feed twice a day.

My dd birth weight 3.145kg.
    1st mth-4.5kg
    2nd mth-5.4kg
    3rd mth-6.1kg
    4th mth-6.3kg
    5th mth-6.7kg
    6th mth-7kg

I start her on semi solids when dd was 5mth.

Any other advise to increase milk supply appreciated.

Thanks.

jl

Default Re: Shall i cont to BF since supply down again?

Hello, and welcome!

I don't have much advise for you except that I find I can pump hardly anything at all and still have enough for my DS. Babies are sooo much better at getting the milk from the breast than a pump! The amts I can pump are just not an accurate representation of what's really there. Does your DD have enought wet diapers in a day? Does she seem satisfied after feeding? Sleeping less and wanting to nurse more frequently is not necessarily due to poor supply. She may be teething, having a growth spurt, or about to cross a milestone. All of these things led to many nights on end of feeding every hour or more all night long - it wasn't b/c my supply was dwindling but b/c DS wanted Mama and milk for comfort. She could, at 6 mos, certainly be going through some or all of those sleep disrupting events.

Anyway, I hope something I've said is helpful, and I hope some more people that have experienced some of the other problems you speak of have helpful things to say too. Don't give up yet! You're doing great, and this too shall pass.
    Best of luck

6 months is prime time for a growth spurt... Sothat could be what is happeneing...

You could up your dose of dom to the normal dosage of 30mg (3 pills) 3 times a day.

Continue to pump and nurse on demand and things will even out.

You are doing a great job mama!

Smile Re: Shall i cont to BF since supply down again?

You can do it Jamie Lee!

Keep doing a great job!

Do not get stressed by what you see, go by your instincts with your child!

My best advice is to relax, eat a good breakfast with a couple eggs, and have some anise tea!!!

My rationale? Stress can cause you to plug up, eggs contain lecithin which will help unplug the ducts-eat some eggs a couple days in a row and check it out, the anise tea will help your supply.

Remember it is not what you see. Trust yourself and your baby without getting hung up on the numbers.

I have gone through this same issue and I am happy to say that I am unplugged, I had troubles even with a hospital grade pump helping me. I finally realized that I kept plugging where I tense up and hold my stress in my chest. Also, deep breathing exercises help. Also, massage the very ends of your ducts around the shoulder/armpit area when it gets plugged. A heating pad helps too to help start the process. The egg info I found on a Canadian doctors website regarding lecithin, eggs have a lot of it and so does soy.

The good news not only am I unplugged but my supply is back, how do I know? One happy baby and I feel better!

I know this is difficult to go through and stressful. I believe you can figure this out to continue offering your child the best gift of its life!!!

Good luck to you, Kate

Dear Beth, Felicia, Kate,

Thank you for your support. I will try to continue bf coz tried giving dd FM last nit and she refuse it.

She will have 1 very soak diaper over nit. In the morning, i usually put her on nappy. Double layer. in the day probably 6 wet ones.

3 tablet 3x a day? will it be too much? i'm also drinking milkmaid tea 4x a day and fenugreek too.

jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Lee
    She will have 1 very soak diaper over nit. In the morning, i usually put her on nappy. Double layer. in the day probably 6 wet ones.
    jamie
    This sounds like she is getting plenty to eat, to me. You mentioned her weight...is she meeting all of her developmental milestones? Is she active, alert, bright-eyed? How is her skin tone? Does she look healthy? These are all signs that baby is growing well and thriving.
    Another idea about weight gain is to be sure that the solid foods you are giving her are nutrient dense, and not empty calories. Rice cereal seems to be the standard first food in the USA, but it really is more of a "filler food" and does little for baby in the weight gain department. Better options are avacados, sweet potatoes, and bananas.
    Here's a link to an LLL faq about first foods: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

The best thing you can do to increase your milk supply is to put baby to your breast as often as she wants. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make.

Hang in there,

Tiana

Dr. Newman's dosing for Domperidone is 90mg a day, which is 3 pills 3 time a day. That's what I take and what a majority of mothes take. SOME mothers are able to see enough of an increase on the super low dose of 30mg a day but most take the recommended dose. You actually can go as high as 4 pills 4 times a day (per Dr. Jack Newman). That is not recommended though, until you have tried the 90mg a day for at least 6-8 weeks. Most mother's don't need to go that high. So, you can def up your dose to 90mg a day and it's just fine!

Good luck and keep going! You are doing a great job mama!

Hi Jamie,

I just thought I'd chime in. I was in the same situation as you. My son had slow weight gain, and he didn't quite double his weight by the six month mark. When he was about 5 months old, he went through a major growth spurt. After nursing him 1.5-2 hours around the clock, I began introducing solids. Banana and avacodo mashed together was a favorite. We have still been nursing about every 3 hours. He's 8 months old now and he went from being in the 10% to 35% since introducing solids.

I encourage you to continue breastfeeding. It should start getting easier for you soon! Keep up the great work. I know it is tough to continue when you're little one is a slow gainer.

Jennifer

*just a gentle mod reminder...*

Only La Leche League Leaders speak for La Leche League. LLL leaders are not medical professionals and as such, cannot give medical advice. If you have a question about your or your baby's health, or questions about medications, please consult your healthcare provider. The purpose of this forum is to give mother to mother support. Thank you for not giving medical advice.

Peace,

Tiana

Dear Tiana,

Yes, she is active, alert, bright-eye, her skin tone is fair and my paed says she is fine.
    My concern is that she only gain 900gm in total for the past 3mths, where she should be gaining at least 1.5kg. According to the graft in her book, she is still about 400gm short.

She started semi-solids when she was 5mths (usual feed between 11.30am-12.30pm). I prepare steam apple with avocado, blend. started with 1 tsp, gradually increased to 2 tablespoons now. Also started her on sweet potatoes with spinach, blend, for the late afternoon (5.30pm-6.30pm).
    I will always bf her b4 giving solids. Bf again an hr later.
    Tried rice cereal, she didn't like it.

Hello Jennifer,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to hang on though my initial was to bf dd til 6mths only.(partly of slow weight gain)

Do u prepare fresh mash banana and avocado daily?

jamie
    Last edited by Jamie Lee; September 28th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.