Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not a fan of avocado

Default not a fan of avocado

We tried our first solids with DD today - she just turned 6 months.

It was very humorous, but otherwise not terribly productive. We tried some pieces of avocado, and she couldn't get a grip on them well enough to get them to her mouth. I gave up and tried to feed her one, but she didn't want to open her mouth for me, she wanted to do it herself. I don't remember DS having this problem. Avocado was his second food, and he gobbled it right up. Oh well, we'll try again next week maybe. Funny - she's been so intent on stealing food from our plates, I thought she'd jump right into it.

Default Re: not a fan of avocado

My daughter would never eat avocado, which drove me crazy because of how underweight she was. Go the other direction next time and try carrot. It's a little sweet but still very nutritious.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My LO has a similar attitude, she wants to do it herself, but in the end...did not like avocado- which broke my heart an we just love it! I've heard to keep trying as their tastes changes, we'll see! Good luck to your LO!

I wanted my guy to love avacado. We eat it all the time in our house and it's just so good for him. He HATED it, gagged and gagged and gagged. So we'll try again another time. At this point he likes black beans, rice, bananas, peaches, pears and applesauce. Basically fruit, fruit and fruit.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Awe, I feel your pain, I LOVE avocado and wanted my son to crave it too.

As a baby (6 months ) he DID love it.. I mashed it with breastmilk and spoonfed it (Guacamommy) and he sucked it down!

At 1 year he was shoveling down avocado chunks with his own hands.

But now, at 23 months, he will not touch an avocado with a 10 foot pole.
    Go figure ;-)

guacamommy -- hilarious!

see, i'm coming from a different direction -- i grew up in the southwest, so eating avocado and guacamole ALL the time -- until i was 13 and suddenly developed an allergy to it. i love love love avocado, but couldn't eat it unless i was willing to deal with my lips, throat, and mouth itching uncontrollably and swelling.

so i've been very nervous about giving it to my son, despite oft-read advice that it's a great first food. but then, when i was pregnant with him, my lactose intolerance subsided a bit, to the point where i could have ice cream without getting sick. so the other night, for the first time in years, i tried some avocado -- no reaction! so it's on my list of baby foods to buy this week.

did anyone else experience a cessation of allergies while pregnant/after having a baby?
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

My DD will actually take avocado pieces out of her mouth.

we tried letting DS feed himself avocado last night -- no go, not ready for non-pureed foods -- he choked. i tried mashing it with a fork, but it still had chunks, so he wasn't happy with that. so i pureed the rest of it for another night. he didn't seem impressed with the flavor, but he didn't seem to hate it either, so that's good.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

My DS didn't care for avocado either at first, but now he'll eat them. He especially likes it when I spread it on a piece of bread (he LOVES bread!)
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

So, I'll have to retract what I wrote previously about my DD hating avocado to only to have her eat a ton of it tonight! Go figure