Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to stop lactating

Default how to stop lactating

Hi there,

It has been almost 11 months since I stopped nursing my son, and I still have breast milk. I am wondering if anyone is able to give me some suggestions to stop it. I have been sipping sage hot tea, (saw in a magazine), not working, I have bought the cabbage to freeze and place on my breast, just haven't gotten the nerve to do it yet... I need to stop b/c I am getting a breast reduction in Mid-Oct. I jumped 6 sizes since I had gotten pregnant, and I am now a size 38H, in a 5'4'' body. I am extremely uncomfortable. Please help so I can get my reduction.
    Thank you.
    sb

Default Re: how to stop lactating

Pure pepermint can help dry out supply...

Also, cold meds (phuesofedrin) can dry up supply as well.

Good luck!

Just so you know, a beast reduction could hurt your ability to nurse any future children.

Quote Originally Posted by darleen
    Just so you know, a beast reduction could hurt your ability to nurse any future children.
    This is true, generally, but IF this is a concern to you, it would be a good idea to specifically discuss it with your doctor and see if it is possible to take steps to address the issue, like maintaining as many of the mammary glands and milk ducts as possible.
    Sorry, I don't have any advice on how to stop lactating.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi sbausman,
    I found these links here on kellymom (not an LLL-site).
    Lactation suppression

This is from The Breastfeeding Answer Book,
    "It is not unusual for a mother to be able to express drops of milk for several months or even years after she has stopped breastfeeding. If the mother has significant amounts of milk months or years after weaning, however, suggest that she talk to her doctor about a possible hormonal imbalance."

How much are we talking about here? Drops of milk or more?

If you do plan on nursing future children after your breast reduction, there is more than one way for the surgery to be performed. I can give you more information about this if you like.

Mary