Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass of wine ?

Smile glass of wine ?

I've heard mixed things about drinking and breastfeeding. What's everyone's consenus on the issue ? I know that getting drunk is bad and that a glass of wine or a beer is ok...but I've heard mixed reviews about when its best to have the drinks (ie right after a feeding so it takes 2 hrs or so to go through your system before the next feeding, etc)

jackie

Default Re: glass of wine ?

Hi there!

Here is a link that can answer all your questions:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/alcohol.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I actually waited until my boys were at least 1 which also coincided with them falling into predicatable patterns of wake/sleep and sleeping through the night. I now have a glass of wine after my boys go to bed and can safely know that it is at least 6 hrs before my youngest is awake. Plenty of time in my opinion for the nasties to get out.

I also wait until my baby goes to bed before I have a glass of wine.

If I am going out to dinner with my DH I usually have a glass or two of wine. But usually I have left EBM for my DD and after the bottle she goes to sleep. She usually doesn't wake to feed again until 12 or 1am, so by then I am sure the drinks have cleared my system. I have to be honest and say that I really enjoy a glass of wine from time to time and I can't see depriving myself of it as long as I take reasonable precautions. Good luck!

Here's what my ped and ob told us about drinking--if you feel it, don't breastfeed, because that means your liver isn't metabolizing fast enough for the amount you have drank. If it isn't affecting you, then it won't affect the little one, because your liver is metabolizing at a fast enough rate. I don't drink very often anymore, but we do have a glass of wine a couple nights a week with dinner...I usually have about 1/2 glass, actually. And as long as it doesn't do anything more than relax me, the doc says we are a-okay!

Now...that said, I have had more than that on one occasion since dd was born. My bf got married this summer and we went out and partied for her bachelorette party. I left dd with her sitter (dh was at the bachelor party) and pumped and dumped while out. We got back and the sitter stayed with us until 6 am. She got up and fed dd a bottle between 2 and 6. By 6, I was no longer feeling tipsy, so I fed her. I didn't get smammered, so I wasn't hung over or anything, either. It may not have been the ideal situation, but that's what we did. And like I said before, the doc pretty much told us that if you aren't feeling the effects, then you are okay. And I really try to be honest with myself about whether or not I am feeling it.

I must add the disclaimer that this is close to what LLL recommends but not verbatim. Just giving you my experience, fwiw.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have read about all the precautions and would like to enjoy some wine occasionally myself. However, I have read that alcohol can decrease your milk supply so this keeps me from it. Has anyone had any trouble with this?

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I will maybe drink a 1/2 a glass (no more than that) of wine on special occasions. Maybe twice in the last six months. I am not one to indulge even when I wasn't nursing very much. It didnt decrease my supply, but mine was well established.( after LO was couple months old.)

It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine...the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated.
    - From the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

In that case since I weigh almost twice that and I drink 1/2 a serving, Mine is gone in 30 minutes, huh?

I have had some wine as well and an occasional beer. I agree with the pp about "feeling it". I wait at least 2 hours though. I also drink a bottle or two of water afterward. Some of you are saying a half glass. What is that to you? A half glass in my mind is half of the wine glass, but in terms of what an actual half glass is, it would be 2 oz. A glass is considered 4 oz., which I have measured out. 4 oz. barely makes a half wine glass. I try to be very careful and am just curious as to what your half glasses are.