Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mos excited about what goes in my mouth...

Default 4 mos excited about what goes in my mouth...

My son is 4 mos and 3 weeks. He is pretty good nursere and has been since he was born. Now i am not ready for him to start solids yet BUT...anytime i put anything to orin my mouth he make the same noise he makes when he is ready to nurse.( im sure all you Mommas know your baby;s nuances and sounds when they want certain things). No one is pusshing solids(thank God) so no pressure there. We all sit down to eat together and even if i am drinking, he gets all excited as if he know it is for him. what do i do? I want to wait at least till he is 6 mos, but he seem to be realy excited about this.

BTW he is not sitting up yet...
    Mom of three and one currently . I at work at home and

Default Re: 4 mos excited about what goes in my mouth...

I jsut wanted to add tha he just seems way too young to even care first of all. I dont remember this with my other two. Wht kind of baby is this?
    Mom of three and one currently . I at work at home and

mine was trying to grab my food and cups by that age, or if he was too far away, staring and grinning. we still waited until he was a little over 5 months, when he could sit up and pedi said he was ready. i guess you can just know that when you are ready, he will be too!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

It is normal for them to be interested in what you are doing- no matter what you are doing. And pretty much anything they are playing with at that point is likely to go in their mouth, so it's definitely not surprising that hes showing an interest. Try giving him a plastic baby spoon and a bowl or something to play with so he can mimic what you are doing and feel included in mealtimes. Keep in mind that showing an interest in food is only one of several indicators of readiness and it's best to have all of them in place before starting solids.

Here are the other signs (from this article):
    * Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    So you've clearly got that last one down!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Whether or not it was right, I started solids with small at 4mo but not before talking to a professional. He's a big baby though(over 22lb and not 8mo yet) and was able to chew and sat happily unsupported on a lap at that age. All babies are different though as are all parents. The biggest thing that had me do that was him crying every single time we ate(and the levelling of his precipitous growth curve). I think the idea of giving him food related toys is good, just go with your gut.
    Don't know if that's helpful or not....

It might not be that he wants to eat, it could be something else, but it does sound like that's what it is. Maybe he just wants to be doing what you do. Does he grasp yet? You could offer him a toy or something to distract him. That's good that you're not starting solids yet, it's really nice to get that extra time EBF and you don't have to worry about how much do I feed? What to buy? All those stresses
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bumblebeebzzzz View Post
    Whether or not it was right, I started solids with small at 4mo but not before talking to a professional. He's a big baby though(over 22lb and not 8mo yet) and was able to chew and sat happily unsupported on a lap at that age. All babies are different though as are all parents. The biggest thing that had me do that was him crying every single time we ate(and the levelling of his precipitous growth curve). I think the idea of giving him food related toys is good, just go with your gut.
    Don't know if that's helpful or not....

my DS was very interested in what anyone else was eating at this age. he was also sitting up well. so once in a while, i would eat applesauce and give him a couple of bites just to see what he did. he wolfed them down and looked at me with a wide open mouth. so that was my cue. this remained a once or twice a week activity until the ped said to go ahead and let him start (about 5 mos). also, we got one of those mesh feeders and i put bananas in it. the chewing helped his teething and let him get a taste of banana (plus no mashing or cutting for me ) frozen bm cubes also worked well in it and the large ring gave him practice holding on and guiding food to his mouth. i would agree that all babies are different, but i have heard that digestive issues and food allergies can result from babies that are fed solids too soon. i like the idea of the plate and spoon also as practice and again, the feeders were great for us as DS could start off with bm and just get the physical practice. i also started giving DS a sippy cup while i drank my coffee in the am. i just filled it with a couple of ounces of bm and he mostly chewed the top, but at least he got to have babys cup and mommy got to have hers without worrying about him grabbing hot coffee from me!! it also helped to introduce him to the cup since he will not take a bottle. good luck and have fun!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

I started my breastfed baby on rice cereal and pureed vegetables when she was 4.5 months old. She had met all the developmental milestones for introducing solids, and did very well with the feedings. I wanted to wait til 6months, but her pediatrician thought she was ready, and I now see that she is a much more contented baby with the addition of solids to her breastmilk.

The only regret I have? The stinky, stinky poop that comes with foods! I am seriously missing the odor-free BM poops!

at least you had a while of odorless poop -- my DS always smelled like a dirty birdcage, or a chicken coop if it was bad! it IS a little worse since solids, though!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/