Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tried bananas--need new food to try

Default Tried bananas--need new food to try

How do you decide what solid to try next? I was going to give her avocados, but it doesn't seem like they're any good here right now. Is summer when they're really good? Nothing grows here, so our produce is never that great. And I want something that I can get a few of to last for a few good days especially while it's being introduced. I'm really wondering what else there is that's EASY. I mean, do you really cook 1 TBS of a vegetable every day? I doubt it. So what do you do?

I heard sweet potatoes are good, too, but I really don't like those so TONS would be going to waste! Ideas?

She's almost 7 months. She's been on bananas for awhile (although only tiny bits a day) and I really need to let her try something else!

Default Re: Tried bananas--need new food to try

um... so not avocados or sweet potatoes... how about peas, carrots, lentils, leeks, pumpkin, plums, apples, pears, beans, broccoli, cheese, tofu, rice, potato, pasta, courgette, aubergine, bread, yoghurt, eggs...

we're doing the whole baby led thingamywotsit, today we had cheesey scrambled egg with broccoli, spring greens, watercress and spinach with rice cakes and pear slices for breakfast, slightly spicy vegetabley(peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, leeks, tofu, aubergine, greens) noodle soup for lunch and butternut squash scone with grated cheese leeks and more greens for tea.

Good suggestions from the PP (whose house I want to come to for dinner ). One way to cope with lots of extra solids is to make a batch and then freeze small portions in an ice cube tray. Once they're frozen, you can store them in a plastic freezer bag.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    One way to cope with lots of extra solids is to make a batch and then freeze small portions in an ice cube tray. Once they're frozen, you can store them in a plastic freezer bag.
    That's what we do. It is so easy to have a bunch of stuff on hand that you can just thaw when you need. FYI- peas can be a gassy food. DD was miserable for two days when she tried them.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

I heard that you should not give tofu or cheese until 12 months.
    My daughter really likes pears and squash.

yeah, pears and squash are good. we also did green beans in addition to the bananas and sweet potatoes. i highly recommend the freezing method -- make the food, keep aside what you're about to feed baby, and spoon the rest into an ice cube tray. cover with foil, freeze. next day, use a butterknife to help you get the cubes out and into a labeled freezer bag. i put what it is, when i made it, and how long it will last (most things last at least 2 months). then when you are ready to use it, you can thaw it overnight in the fridge or microwave it if you didn't plan ahead (like me!). just be sure you stir really good if you microwave to get the hot spots out.

on eggs -- i've read they shouldn't have egg whites until a year, but that the yolks are fine.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/