Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike? weaning?

Default Nursing strike? weaning?

Hello all:
    (my first post here)

I have 14 1/2 mos old twins. They were 11 weeks early, so their corrected age is one year. We went through the long, hard struggle of getting to ebf after all the preemie issues (too much to explain here, but pretty standard issues) as well as dd having pretty bad oral aversion.
    . . Well I thought that was all awful, and getting through was probably the biggest challenge I've suceeding at
    And my current plan was to keep nursing through this cold/flu season, and then see what they wanted to do. And, I figured that we'd probably keep nursing until past their second birthday or so. So much for plans! About four days ago, dd nursed like normal; and hasn't since! I've been wondering if she was simply ready to wean.
    But, I've been thinking it trough, talked to my fab lactation nurse at my hospital, and read some great articles here. Now, I know this in not weaning! Something is wrong! I want to fix it!
    details: She has been sucessfuly taking bottles with dad the one day a week I work, and about 90% breastfed with me. She is eating solids well off and on. She has had cow's milk a few times here and there in the last month. She doesn't take it, even half ebm half cow. She has been teathing lately. And, I'm cathing on that here lies the problem. She had been biting me with her sharp, jagged teeth. I did react strongly most times. I should have known better, esp with her oral aversion issues.
    I figured, at first, that she would at least take her 5am nurse-back-to-sleep session well if nothing else. NOPE! The first couple of days, she woke up on time and fussed, needing help to get back to sleep. But refused the breast. The next couple of days she's been waking later and later. Now, only getting up with her brothers when we are up for the day. (man I wanted her to do this so badly before, but not like this. unable to nurse b/c she is sad!)
    She is currently insisting on ebm in a bottle. I don't have much left in the freezer after donating 1000+ ounces over the last year, and using up soon-to-expire milk with my own lo's recently. I thought we were set. I did not see this coming!
    She is small, even for her adjusted age. I wanted to keep providing the extra calories for her. Also, she has week lungs. I really need to give her the immunities!
    I am still nursing her twin no problem. He has not had the oral aversion issues, and has always been my stronger feeder of the two. He is not biting. I don't mind if I end up nursing one longer than the other. They are individuals. But, I'm getting it that this is d/t a problem and not a good ending of our nursing relationship.
    Please help!

Default Re: Nursing strike? weaning?

What about while napping and at night? Most strikers will still nurse while sleepy or asleep. Can you get her to "dream feed?"

Way too lazy for formula

THANKS for your reply!
    No, the first day or so I thought "thats okay. You'll go back to nursing when you wake up at 5am." She ALWAYS wakes early to be nursed back to sleep for a few hours--then wakes for the day.
    But, she wont! The first couple of mornings, she fussed and fussed needing help to get back to sleep, but wouldnt nurse. Then the next couple of days, she hasnt waken, or at least cried for me to come get her!
    Last night, before I went to bed, I carefully picked her up from her crib and tried 'dream nursing' her. NO!

PLEASE help!

Have you tried co-sleeping? The thing about striking is it really goes against their instinct. Which they don't usually fight while sleeping. How are you feeding her now? What are you supplementing with? Bring her to bed. She will feed while sleeping.

Way too lazy for formula

Have you checked her mouth Mama? Could it be due to mouth pain? My lo has had a rough patch the last few days with mouth sores from a virus. Just a thought...

And I agree about co-sleeping.. I think it can be quite tempting for a babe when they can smell it in their sleep. It certainly can't hurt to try.

I hope your babe is back at the breast soon.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

For the most part, we dont co-sleep. Her routine is to sleep in her crib until she wakes at about 5am. I do bring her to be with me and we nurse while snoozing until she is done or we sleep until her twin wakes at about 7. She goes back to her crib and sleeps a bit longer. I nurse her twin and he is up for the day. Now, she is just not waking for that nursing session! sleeping until they both get up.
    I have tried carefully picking her up when I'm going to bed to bring her to bed with me; and while she is asleep/mostly asleep try nursing her. NOPE! She wants nothing to do with it!

She is getting EBM in a bottle. She has taken about 90%breast/10%ebm bottles for about a year. now only bottles.

I really want to fix this!

She doesn't have a cold or anything? My daughter would strike when she couldn't breath through her nose. The best I could say is keep trying. She could be teething and not feeling like it. So keep offering and let her see her twin nursing. She might get jealous and want in on the action. But the absolute worst thing is she's done. You should be very very proud of all your accomplishments and getting her to a year! And if she is still getting EBM then she's getting the benefits.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Well, thought I should give an update. It appears we are done.
    Nothing yet. No "dream" nursing, nada.

I have spent $$$ on pediasure, toddler formula(ironic since it was quite uncommon that we made it through NICU and all preemie issues witout a single feeding of full foumula), etc to mix in with her whole cow milk. She is small and not ready for just that. I felt good when I was giving her mama milk.

And, with only one nursling left whom is gitting too impatient for a let down, my milk is drasticaly, suddenly decreasing

Thanks anyways.

sorry you're going through this... it could well be a long nursing strike, they can be quite long indeed, but she well may go back to the breast.

Have you considered pumping to keep your supply and give your dd expressed breast milk instead of formula/cow's milk?