Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to stop stressing about supply

Default I want to stop stressing about supply

I need support, or a pat on the back, or to vent, or something...

My daughter, at 12.75 months, continues to be a very distracted/not very interested nurser most of the time. I wanted to nurse her until at least age 1, so to protect my low/precarious supply, I introduced solids gradually, have taken Fenugreek and other herbs and teas for ages, pumped 2-3 times per day, breastfed frequently (every 1.5-2.5 hours; 3 hours was a long gap for me), co-slept, initiated breastfeedings even when she was too busy and didn't seem interested, and tried to encourage/cajole her to breastfeed longer at each session.

Up until now, I have been giving her 2 "mini meals" and a "snack" each day. The solids haven't replaced any breastfeeding sessions. Perhaps she has gotten less milk at each session. [ETA: Well, she's not nursing exactly as much as she did when she was 6 months old, but the solids haven't replaced nursing sessions until the past few days when she has been kind of refusing to nurse at times.]

Anyway... Kellymom says "25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months." Do you all follow this recommendation? This is stressing me out. I feel like she would definitely be more receptive to more food at this point. Plus, I would like to be able to stop stressing about supply and make breastfeeding more enjoyable if at all possible.
    Last edited by @llli*anakay; January 31st, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added something for clarification

Default Re: I want to stop stressing about supply

Congrats on making it to a year!!!! That is a huge accomplishment.

Are there any reasons that make you think you have had low supply? How much is your does your little one weigh?

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Here's a pat on the back for you. It sounds like you have done an awesome job nursing a distracted baby. You did a lot more work with pumping and co-sleeping and frequent nursing than most moms are willing to do- and that all may have been extra work that you didn't really need to do, KWIM?

Re the kellymom recommendation, there's no way my kid's diet was 25% solids at 12 months because at that age she was so not into solids. And she did just fine. And there are other babies who eat tons more solids at 12 months and do just fine, as well. I wouldn't be at all worried about increasing the amount of solids you're offering if your child seems eager for them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house View Post
    Are there any reasons that make you think you have had low supply? How much is your does your little one weigh?

My daughter weighs 17.5 pounds and is 29". She's been on the 5th percentile curve since birth. I have always been concerned about supply because of her weight (if I didn't do all those things to maintain supply, would she gave dropped off the curve?). Also, one of my breasts is an underperformer, slow flow and low output (got 15 ml when pumping last night, 3 hours after daughter breastfed from that side).

Daughter's diaper output seems to be decreasing lately.

My milk also seems like skim milk, with just the tiniest layer of fat on the top, even if it hasn't been very long since the previous pumping/feeding.

Or, maybe my supply is (barely) adequate and dd is just not a big drinker?

I am also posting under in the Weaning forum under the thread "What's the difference between Nursing on Demand and Don't Ask, Don't Tell?" I am so upset lately. Why doesn't my daughter want to enjoy time at the breast? Why doesn't she like my milk? Should I just give her solids and let her take the lead on nursing and not worry about my supply dwindling?

Just try to let it go. Seriously! I know it's hard to do but the awesome thing about breastfeeding past 1 is you can make it all about pleasure as long as your LO is eating solids decently.

If she doesn't want to nurse at a given time, then so be it. Give a snack instead if hungry.

I felt the exact same way at 1 year, but once I sort of just went with the flow everything just fell into place.

Congrats on making it to one year momma, good job!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I decided to just relax. If my supply can't keep up, so be it. Everything's been fine so far, though.